Ten

Enjoy :)

"Hey, Cheryl, I- are you listening to Stevie Nicks?" Kevin asked upon running into my open door, and I hummed before turning the volume to my bluetooth speaker down by my cell phone.

"What is it you need, Kevin" I asked, and he scratched the back of his head in bashfulness.

"Well, I just wanted to give you this stack of resumes." He stammered, setting the stack of papers in his hands upon the desk across from me.

"It's only Wednesday, that was quick," I hummed, and he chuckled,

"I try to be the best at everything I do." He informed as I opened one of the folders.

"You and Toni both." I said distractedly before closing it and setting it back to where it was. "I'll get back to you before the launch party on Friday." I promised, and he smiled before leaving to answer a phone call.

The reason I'm listening to Stevie Nicks is because she was one of my brother's favorite artists, and this is helping me feel closer to him. I feel more soothed, calm at the sound her voice, which helps me reminisce on times when we sat on the roof together, listening to her through an old CD player.

She made me want to be a better significant other. A better boss. A better parent.

A better Cheryl.

Just like Toni does.

So I associate the two by playing Stevie while I work towards the goal at being better for Toni, and for Mason. For my employees, for my company.

For Stevie.

"Cheryl, your sister, Polly is in the lobby downstairs, waiting for you. She says she called, but you haven't answered the phone." Kevin assured, and I sighed. The one time Stevie has ever let me down.

I quickly ran down to the lobby, where I was met with Polly, sitting down between Mason's car seat and Kyle, who read another antarctic book.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked, and Polly looked up to me, standing up and running her hands through her long hair.

"Kyle, keep an eye on Mason," She said, taking my arm and pulling me around the corner of a wall to whisper with me. "I'm so sorry, Cheryl, mom is busy arranging Jason's funeral, and consulting with whoever's left of Midge's family, and Charles is back in Vegas, and Betty is working." She was breathing heavily, speaking rapidly in anxiety, so I placed my hands on her shoulders to stop her rambling. She looked up at me, breathing deeply before trying again. "Chuck was jumped on his way to lunch this morning." She whispered, "He's in the hospital, and I need to make sure he's okay. Kyle had an early school day today, and everyone is really busy. I figured that you could find a babysitter with your connections or something, so I can go make sure my husband is okay." She said, her anxiety clearly coming back, and I sighed before nodding.

"Of course!" I said compassionately, pulling my sister in for a hug, and she sniffled slightly against my shoulder. I pulled away and looked her in the eyes. "Go tend to your husband. I'll introduce Kyle to Kevin. Today wasn't too busy of a day anyway." I assured, walking back to the boys with my sister's hand in mine, so to assure her.

"C'mon Kyle, you're gonna spend time at work with me." I smiled as I picked up the diaper bag, as well as Mason's car seat.

"I'm gonna get you from auntie Cheryl's house tonight, okay, Ky?" Polly assured, and he nodded with an understanding smile.

"I'll be good, I promise." He assured, turning to walk toward the elevator.

I said goodbye to my sister before taking my nephews to the top floor. I walked through the bull pin, eyes traveling to the boys and I, as nobody had anything better to do. The last three or four days before release were always the easiest, considering the fact that everything was finished. Everyone essentially got paid just to show up, so they always showed up in the last few days.