Chapter 13 Promise Ring

Chapter 13

<><><><><><>

"I know, plums aren't really that skinny. I don't get it." Burnie said, forcing me to go into detail.

"It was little plum. Little as in skin and bones, possibly anorexic plum. I wasn't anorexic at the time, or anytime at that, but I guess I was just that skinny that even my parents thought I was anorexic even if I ate in front of them all the time. Although I could throw up behind their backs, but anyways, it really just means you are super skinny. And sometimes a dumbass little plum." I said, going on and on about the past.

"Did Michael agree with your parents?" Gavin asked when I finished.

"He always suspected it, but his room was right next to the bathroom and he never heard me throw up. So kinda." I said, shrugging. I felt really bad for lying to the love of my life, but, especially on the podcast, I couldn't tell him about my eating disorder. He and everyone else would literally shove food into my throat, and I would only survive if I ate it.

"Oh. I hope you are over that. You didn't exactly have a great past." Gus said. I dismissed myself to the bathroom after the podcast ended. Before I could reach the bathroom Michael stopped me, and dragged me outside. I sat on the bench next to the front doors, and gave him a look of innocence.

"Why'd you lie to him? To the world? He needs to know sometime. Especially when you go back to the 'Don't eat just exercise and eventually go to the hospital' stage. Even if you don't tell him, he is going to find out. And who do you think he would like to hear it from, you, me, or the doctor?" Michael whispered. His face was turning red and I could see the flames in his eyes. Was it really that big of a deal?

"I don't think I'm ready to tell him yet. I'll tell him eventually. I-I just, I couldn't Michael. Everyone would be shoving food down my throat if they found out. I'm eating perfectly fine, don't need their constant nagging. I just want them to think of me as a normal human being. Not a complete fuck-up." I was getting emotional about this conversation already. Dammit.

"They won't think you are a fuck-up! They will help you. Not let you suffer like you did in the past! They aren't like the others at home! They actually care about you Valerie!" Michael said, raising his voice a little too high.

"What the fuck are you two talking about?" Geoff asked, walking out with a beer in one hand.

"Uh um W-we were t-talking about......" I started to say.

"Talking about a school play that Julian has to be in." Michael finished.

"With the name Valerie and everything?" Geoff said with a smirk.

"No, no, no. We were just reenacting it with our names." I said, standing up to go inside.

"Soooo I'm guessing it's about anorexic people? Cause you did say the 'Don't eat just exercise and eventually go to the hospital' stage earlier." Geoff said. Dammit Geoff! Why'd you have to hear every last bit?!

"Actually yes. His school has had 13 students in the hospital because of it so they want to show everybody with eating disorders that they aren't alone, and that they can get over it, and stuff like that." Michael said.

"Yeah. It's really sad. I wish I was there to comfort him. He lost one of his dearest friends to it, so he decided he would support the play and even join it." I said, smiling.

"Oh. It just felt so," Geoff paused trying to think of a word to describe it. "It felt so, realistic. Like you were talking about today's podcast or something. And it seemed like you actually lied to Gavin and the rest of us. But I guess plays are supposed to feel that way." I gulped causing him to stop walking and look back at me.