// Treat me like an old friend //

Two years has passed and I haven’t spoken to Matty since, let alone seen him. I’m now 21 and living in New York. For the last year and a half, I’ve been writing a book and now it’s finally being published. My book is based primarily on drug abuse and shows mainly how it can ruin your entire life. I’ve interviewed many people who have been previous drug users, including my mother, for research. It is all fiction.

I’m currently on my lunch break. As well as writing my novel, I’ve also been writing for the New York Times newspaper. I’ve been working with them for a year or so now and I’ve made so many incredible new friends. I finished up with my lunch and still had 40 minutes to kill I was walking down 5th Avenue when I guy with a chocolate coloured slicked back Mohawk bumped into me. I dropped my folder on the ground and the guy rushed to pick it up.

“I’m so sorry for that” he apologized in the thick British accent.

“Matty?” I asked.

“Oh my god, Maddy! How are you? What are you doing here? Let’s go get coffee!” he said as he took my hand and we walked through the sea of people. We got to a Starbucks and sat at a table near the back after getting our drinks.

“So how are you?” he asked with a grin on his face.

“Really good, what about you?” I asked back before taking a sip of my latte.

“I’m good. Wow, it’s been like 2 years since I’ve seen you. You look really good. What are you doing in New York?”

“My book’s getting published, plus I’m writing for The Times. I’m guessing you’re here on tour?”

“Why else would I be” he laughed. “Wow, you’re getting a book published. That’s amazing, love” he smiled. I’d missed him.

“Yeah, it really is” I smiled back.

“I’ve missed you” he said as he took my hand. “I really have I still love you, I hope you know that” I pulled my hand away.

“Matty, I’m getting married” I said. I saw his face drop completely.

“Yeah?” he said as he tried to smile.

“Yeah. His name’s Marcus. We work together. I’m really sorry, Matt” I said with a half-smile.

“No need to be sorry. It was bound to happen one day. Does he make you happy?” he asked.

“Yeah, yeah he does. He’ll never be as fun as we were together though, but it’s not like I’m settling. I really do love him” I replied. I never fully got over Matty, but I knew I had to move on. Marcus is perfect for me anyway. He’s nice and handsome. He always wears a nice suit and he’s very intelligent. He’s lovely. But he’ll never be as good as Matty was.

“Well that’s good then. Whatever makes you happy. You deserve it” he said as he sipped his drink.

“I’m sorry Matty. I’ll always love you, you were the first real love of my life and I’ll never forget the time we spent together. It took me ages to move on but I finally did and I found Marcus” I smiled sadly.

“Yeah. It’s all good. No need to apologize. Look, I gotta go but maybe we can meet up another time. You still got my number?” he asked.

“Of course I do” I smiled back.

“Alright. I’ll see you round Maddy” he smiled as we stood and hugged. I breathed in his scent and then left. I started to walk down the street and turned back around to get one last look at the man I’ll always love. He was squatted down on the side of the sidewalk against the building with his head in his hands. He looked up, straight at the building in front of him and, even from a distance, I could still see the tear marks that stained his pale cheeks. I will always love him.

A/N that's it, this fic is officially over. I'm sorry for ending it this way guys. I really hope you enjoyed reading this fic, all of the support on it has been incredible. Thank you all so much xx // L O V E //