Chapter Four

Command Center - 10 am

Skye was currently running a trace on Ian Quinn and been doing so for the last couple of hours, well trying to anyway. She had been searching for him on and off since leaving the academy because of what he did to Danny and his friend.  

After her hour long training session with her S.O this morning, Skye had showered and changed them met Grant and the science twins in the kitchen for breakfast. Jemma and Leo then headed down to the lab as Skye headed to the Command Centre while Grant and Melinda had a meeting with Phil in his office.

Two hours had quickly passed without realization as the team leader entered the room. “How’s it going?” Phil asked.

Skye stayed focused on the large screen as multiple screens would appear then disappear in a matter of seconds, her fingers moving as fast as lightning across the touch screen keyboard. “Frustrating …” she mumbled. “Every damn time that I think I’m getting close to tracing his location, it just disappears. I have facial recognition running his image through ever know database that S.H.I.E.L.D has access to. ”

Phil was concerned about the youngest member of the group. He knew lately there had been a change in her behaviour. She had become more focused and determined to make S.H.I.E.L.D proud - to make him proud. He was starting to worry that she might burn out if she kept going the way she was. “How are you sleeping?”

Skye stopped what she was doing the moment she had heard Phil’s question, but didn’t shift her eyes from the screen. “May told you about my nightmares,” she guessed as a seriousness mixed with annoyance laced her tone.

“I have eyes,” he answered. Yes, Melinda had come to him this morning and voiced her concerned, but he had known something was wrong before that. He had just been giving the girl some space since he knew that she was still processing everything that he had told her. “Skye?”

The hacktivist swallowed hard. “Everybody dies,” she whispered, sadness lacing her tone. “And it’s my fault. I can’t save them,” she confessed as emotion filled her voice. It had been eating at her. “I am the reason that they’re dead.”

Phil couldn’t believe Skye had been holding all of this in. Had he done the right thing by telling her the truth? “Skye, if this is because of what I told you about when you were a ba-”

Skye turned her eyes towards the older man, tears filling her eyes. “It doesn’t change the fact that all of those people were killed because of me. I will not let that happen again. I owe my life to S.H.I.E.L.D to do my best, to this team to keep them safe.”

Phil’s heart broke for the girl. How could he get her to see that none of this was her fault … she was just a baby. He didn’t want her to get herself killed trying to protect them. She had become like a daughter to him and he couldn’t lose her. He wouldn’t cope a second time. “Skye,” he expressed.

Skye turned her attention back to the screen and resumed with what she was doing. “Just let me do this,” she told the older man in an emotionless tone.

Phil released a sigh in defeat as he left the room He knew that he would have to keep a close eye on the younger woman.

Kitchen - 11:11 a.m

Skye was softly humming along to the music that poured from her Ipod dock as she stirred the muffin batter. She wasn’t a good cook or any cook at all, but Skye could make muffins - which she was quite proud of. Skye had actually learned this recipe from Sister McCannon during her years in the orphanage. They would bake together whenever she was feeling sad because she had been sent back there.