Chapter Twenty Two

Classified S.H.I.E.L.D Medical Facility

Room 108 - 15:03 p.m

Skye was humming ‘All of Me’ as she entered Melinda’s room with a tote bag over her shoulder and stopped in her tracks when she noticed that no one but the older chinese woman was in the room. Her eyes instantly locked on Melinda who was currently standing by the large window on the other side of the room and looking out it, her IV pole on wheels was standing beside her.

“Hi Skye,” Melinda voiced without turning her head around.

Skye always got chills when the older woman did that. “Are you meant to be up?” she asked concerned as she walked further into the room.

“I’m fine,” Melinda snapped, annoyance evident her voice.

Skye froze in her spot at the end of the bed. She could sense that the older woman was in pain, but had also felt the slight anger of her words. Skye herself was breathing through it. “I’m sorry,” she apologized. “I’ll leave you alone,” she answered in a quiet voice as she turned and began to walk away.

Melinda instantly felt horrible for snapping at the younger woman like that. It wasn’t Skye’s fault that she was in pain, but she was just tired of everyone worrying over her. “Skye,” she voiced, slowly turning around as she placed a hand on her IV pole.

Skye stopped in her tracks and turned around to face the older woman.

Melinda could see the hurt splashed across the younger woman’s face. “I’m sorry,” she apologized, genuinely. “I didn’t mean to snap at you. I’m just not use to having so many people worry about me,” she admitted, biting down on her bottom lip.

Skye began walking back towards the wounded agent. “Well, get use to it,” she answered with a smile. “You’re stuck with us now.”

A ghost of a smile touched Melinda’s lips as she began making her way back towards her bed, dragging her IV pole with her.

Skye stopped at the end of the bed and looked around the room. She noticed that the television was going and Erin Brockovich was currently playing, it was half way through. “So, uh, where is everyone? You’re not usually alone for more than five minutes,” she supplied in a casual tone.

Melinda stopped at her bed and slowly slid into it. “I told them all that they needed to give me twenty minutes of peace otherwise I would bar them from my room altogether,” she expressed as a tinge of pain shot through her. “It’s been ten minutes so far,” she added, sitting back against a few pillows on her headboard, her eyes settling on the younger woman.

Skye now felt bad. “I’m sorry to barge in on your alone time,” she supplied, apologetic. “I can come back later with the ice cream,” she added, tapping the tote bag.

“Ice Cream?” Melinda inquired as her eyes lit up. “You’ve got ice cream? What kind?”

Skye grinned at the older woman’s eager attitude. “Rocky road,” she answered a-matter-a-factly. “Is there any other kind,” she added. “I don’t know what they’ve been feeding you here but I figured you can’t go wrong with ice cream.”

Melinda released a soft chuckle. “No, you can’t,” she answered. “Come on over,” she supplied as she tapped the bed near her.

Skye hurried over to the bed and slid onto it, placing the tote bag to the side and pulled out the ice cream and two spoons. She had bought four with her just in case others had been in the room. Skye handed one of the spoons to Melinda and held one for herself. She then pulled off the lid to the small tub and placed it in the middle of them.