Chapter Twenty Eight

Jemma’s Bunk

Leo gently shook his sleeping partner. “Jem … wake up,” he quietly voiced.

Jemma was pulled from her slumber at the feeling of being shaken. “Wha-Leo?” she questioned, half asleep as she slowly began to sit up. “What’s wrong?” she asked, noticing the worried look etched across his pale features. Jemma had come down to her bunk after her discussion with Agents May and Coulson and had laid down and must have fallen asleep since she hadn’t gotten much last night.

“We have visitors,” he informed her, a-matter-a-factly.  

Jemma was still half asleep. What? She focused her sleepy hazel greens onto him. “When did we land? How long have I been asleep?” she asked as she turned her eyes towards the wall clock above her television. It was almost ten thirty which meant that she had only been asleep for a little over an hour.

Leo shook his head. “No, they landed on top of us while we are still in the air.”

Jemma stifled a yawn as she pulled her hair from the messy ponytail it must know be in and combed her fingers through her hair. “What? Someone made an emergency landing on the bus? Who?”

Skye was trying to focus on her attention on the action movie that had been playing when she sat down on the couch, but her mind was elsewhere. She knew that it couldn’t be a coincidence that only around two hours after she hacked into a S.H.I.E.L.D restricted classified database that two of the big bosses show up on their bus.  Skye knew that Phil said he would handle it, but what if he couldn’t.

“Rook … why are you so quiet?” Grant questioned his girlfriend, turning his head to the side as he observed her current state. She was chewing on her bottom lip and had that faraway look etched across her beautiful face.

Skye just shrugged her shoulders as she pretended to watch the movie.

Grant was buying it. He knew Skye and knew that she was curious by nature. She was always digging for answers. The best spy in the world - ever was aboard and she wasn’t the slightest bit curious. “So you’re telling me that you’re not even a little bit curious to why the Director and Deputy Director of S.H.I.E.L.D are here, boarded our plane mid air?”

Skye swallowed the lump in her throat and shook her head. “Nope,” she lied, feeling the guilt wash over her.

Grant was now curious to why she was lying to his face. It was evident. She could never look him in the eyes whenever she lied to him, they always gave her away. “Rook-”

“I hear we have visitors,” Jemma supplied with apprehension, walking towards her two friends. Her eyes fixed on her surrogate little sister sitting on the couch. She hoped that Skye wasn’t in trouble, after all, she was following orders.

Phil’s Office

The four older agents along with their two guest were all gathered in Phil’s office. Phil was sitting behind his desk, Melinda standing beside him. The two assassins were seated on the couch, Natasha crutches were leaning against the couch as Maria and Nick stood in the open space between the couch and desk.  

Nick gave a nod of the head to Maria and she pulled out a small round shape signal jammer device with a S.H.I.E.L.D logo stamped on top of it. She then hit a button on the top of it and it opened slightly as a white light shined out of it.

“Room’s secure,” the deputy director announced as she placed it on her agent’s desk and took a few steps back.

Phil raised a curious eyebrow as he glanced towards Melinda. She mirrored the same look.