Chapter 28: Kyra

It kills me that I left Shane's house that way, but now I know what that missing puzzle piece may be, my hearing! But how the hell am I gonna get my hearing back? This isn't a fairy tale where I can ask my fairy godmother or a genie to give me my hearing back, this is reality, and in reality, there's no way you'd find a fairy godmother or genie to grant your wishes.

I notice everyone in class getting out of their seats. I slowly walk over to Ms. Sayers' desk and hand her my folder with the story in it.

"Kyra, can I speak with you for a moment?" Ms. Sayers signs to me.

"Sure." I respond. We both sit at her desk, she looks concerned. I've never had a teacher seem so concerned about me before.

"Are you alright sweetheart? Every time I see you in my class, you have the hugest smile on your face. But today, you didn't have your smile. Is something wrong?" she motions with her hands. It's like she can see right through me. She understands me. That's what I love about her, she's taken an interest in me since the first day of school. Cause we're alike. Cause we both are writing lovers who lost their hearing.

"There's this boy I like, and he wrote me a song. But it kills me that I can't hear his song. I'm not sure what to do." I sign.

Ms. Sayers purses her lips.

"Kyra, have you ever heard of a cochlear implant?' she asks.

"Yes." I respond.

"Kyra, when I was your age, I wanted to hear. I decided to get a cochlear implant, but when I went to the hospital on afternoon, the doctor said my bone structure wasn't the right type they were looking for. Kyra, you should get the surgery, get the chance to have what I couldn't have." She says.

I get up and hug her.

"I couldn't have asked for a better teacher. Thank you." I sign. Then I leave the room and head towards the library.

I research the surgery, and find out everything I need to know.

I know what my missing puzzle piece is now. My hearing. I now know that there's a way I can restore my hearing. I can hear Shane's song.