Chapter 32: Kyra

My life has turned from a dream come true to a living nightmare. I don't have enough money for my surgery and the next surgery will be in two months! I can't wait that long! This is important to me! I feel like I should just give up. It's been a month since I broke down in front of Shane, and ever since we haven't talked about it. I've noticed that he's been spending less and less time with me, did I scare him off? I never meant to scare him. Was he lying when he said he loved me?

Tonight's the night of the writing awards, I should try to be happy about it. Try not to make it obvious that I have shit going on in my life.

Shane and Anna pick me up and we drive to the school. The only sound in the car is silence, but as I read Anna's face, I notice that she looks like she wants to burst like a firework. I wonder what's up.

We make it to the school and make our way to the auditorium. We sit in the front row so I can try to read Mrs. Jefferson's lips. I see Ms. Sayers stride onto the stage, she looks down at me and smiles at me. I look at her and smile back, but she can tell it's fake, that I'm sad.

She begins signing, stating that in Third place of the contest was a someone who wrote some childish story. In second place was some emo girl who wrote about death. And in first place is... Me! They chose me!

I sprint onto the stage and embrace Ms. Sayers. She kisses my cheek and puts her arms around me as we walk towards Mrs. Jefferson.

She begins to speak and Ms. Sayers begins signing.

She says ," Congratulations Kyra! We are all so proud of you. You are very talented and deserve this award. Now we have a surprise for you. We have heard that you have been working to earn money for a certain surgery, correct?" my cheeks turn into crimson!

"Yes." I respond. Ms. Sayers continues to sign.

"Well Kyra, we have a surprise for you." What?

"Ms. Sayers and two students from the school came up with the idea of starting a fundraiser for you. The whole school participated in the fundraiser, and we have received $40,000!" my heart skips a beat! I'm gonna have my surgery!

My vision is becoming blurry. I feel liquid falling from my eyes.

"Thank you so much!" I cry. They love me. They have accepted me. They showed their love for me by doing this amazing act for me.

I see two hazy figures walk onto the stage. One has an umber colored head and the other is fiery haired, Shane and Anna.

Shane grasps me into his arms and our lips meet. I don't care if everyone's watching, he did this amazing thing for me. They all did, and I love them for doing this for me.

I turn and embrace Anna. She kisses my cheek and we turn to face the audience. I can feel the vibrations of their cheering. They're cheering me on. They are showing their love for us.

We now are loved.