Chapter 22: Shane

Kyra is in my house! She's in my room! I didn't think she'd show up, I'm not sure why, but I'm glad she came.

"Hi Shane." Kyra speaks as she strides closer to me.

I get off of my chaotic bed and hug her.

"Hey, I'm glad you made it." I respond after breaking our embrace.

"I'm glad you invited me. You have a nice place." she says, ironically, my room is crappy, not nice.

"Please, sit down." I point to the chair near my desk.

Kyra slowly walks over and sits. She notices a photo on my desk.

"Who's this?" she asks. My heart skips a beat, talking about him killed me.

"He's my Dad." my voice cracks.

"Where is he? Are your parents divorced?" she continues.

"He died when I was a Freshman." my chest feels heavy, like some bastard stabbed me with a knife.

Kyra slowly gets up and ghosts towards me, sitting with me on the bed.

"What happened?"

"I wasn't always the slacker I've turned into. I was a good kid, good student, but it all changed Freshman year. We were coming back from a school concert, of a tribute band for some band from the late 70's, you know with the long hair and weird outfits. My dad and I were on the trolley, but then something happened. We collided into an oncoming trolley. I had a concussion and a few stiches, but my dad was left in a coma. We found out he wasn't gonna wake up, so the doctors killed him by turning of the machine." My hands are shaking furiously.

Kyra looks at me wide eyed, clouded raindrops falling from her eyes.

"I'm so sorry Shane." she breathes.

"I loved him. He taught me how to play the guitar. We made our own concerts together, just the two of us, sometimes his bandmates came and let me play with them. I wish he was still here.' I breathe.

Something soft brushes my lips and a pair of gentle arms cradle me.

"I love you, Kyra." I breathe, but I know she can't hear me tell her this. I wish she could.