Chapter 29: Shane

I haven't heard from Kyra since that day, I'm not sure what happened. I feel like such a bastard for doing that to her. I never meant to hurt her, I love her, I'd die if I hurt her. I keep asking her if she wants to meet me after school everyday, even on the weekends, but it's always the same answer, no.

I want to find different ways to communicate with her, maybe learn how to sign to her. Let her know she means the world to me, and no one has ever meant the world to me since my Dad died. She's changing me.

I hop in my car and drive to the nearest Barnes and Noble, I know they're bound to have one of those Books for Dummies there. Hopefully they have an ASL for Dummies book lying around there somewhere.

I walk into the store and head to the top floor, where the Dummy books are.

Success! They have an ASL for Dummies book, now she can know that I love her, that I've fallen for her throughout the first couple of months of school.

As I head down the escalator, she catches my eye. I recognize that Blondie, Kyra. What is she doing here?

As I lower down, I notice something on her sweater, a name tag. Kyra works here? Why didn't she tell me?

I slowly walk over to her, her clouded eyes pierce into mine.

"Shane, what are you doing here?" she asks.

"What are you doing here Kyra? Why didn't you tell me you were working here?" I demand.

Kyra beckons me to follow her into a storage room.

"I didn't want you to find out I was working here. No one knows." She says.

"Why? Kyra, what the hell is going on?!" I demand. I see tears form in her majestic eyes.

"You wouldn't understand Shane." her voice is cracking.

"What won't I understand? Kyra, what's going on? Why are you working here? Why have you been avoiding me, Anna, everyone? Jesus! Just tell me!" I scream.

"I'M TRYING TO HEAR AGAIN!!" She shrieks.

Tears are rolling down her angelic face.

"I WANT TO HEAR YOU SHANE! I WANT TO HEAR YOUR SONG! MY FATHER LOST HIS JOB A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, AND THE SURGERY THAT COULD RESTORE MY HEARING IS $40,000! BUT WE DON'T THAT MONEY, SO I'VE BEEN WORKING MY ASS OFF TO GET THE MONEY SO I CAN HEAR!!! DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY I'VE BEEN AVOIDING YOU? BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT YOU TO GIVE UP ON ME! I DON'T WANT YOU TO LEAVE ME!!" Kyra kicks a shelf and things begin to collapse. She bends down and sobs hysterically.

I had no idea.

I bend down and cradle her face.

"I'm in love with you. I'm not going anywhere, you are the most amazing person I've ever met. And I'm so thankful to have you in my life." I soothe her down.

I kiss her on the lips and help her up

"I'm gonna take you home, Baby." I wish I could do something to help her, but what.

I pay for the book and drive Kyra home. The only sound in the car is silence.

We make it to her house and I lead her to her room. I kiss her and she closes the door.

I go sit with her parents.

"Mr. Trey, Kyra told me what happened, I'm so sorry."

"It's alright Shane, I have some interviews coming up, hopefully it'll work out." He says.

"I wanna do something to help Kyra." I say.

"Thank you Shane. That's so kind of you." Mrs. Trey says.

Then it hits me, I've seen people do fundraisers for kids with issues, what if I organize a fundraiser for Kyra? Yeah!

"What if I organize a fundraiser for Kyra. Maybe I can ask the school if they are interested in fundraising for Kyra. They've done similar things for kids with autism and other special needs, but we can try to fundraise for money for the surgery." I say.

They look at me wide eyed.

"You'd do that for our daughter?" Mrs. Trey asks.

"Yeah. I love her. The teachers love her too, even the students love her. I'll speak with Anna and Ms. Sayers and we'll speak with Principal Jefferson. She's gotta give it a chance." I say. Mrs. Trey stands up and hugs me.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to Kyra.".