Chapter 14

I don’t know what to do, but I whisper, “What do you mean?”

She looks at me and her face is lined with concern.  ”Honey, I heard somethings about what he’s done, and I know he makes you happy, but I think you need to stay away from him.”

“What have you heard?” I feel extremely defensive, he hasn’t done anything, he’s perfect.

“Sweetie,” She takes a step towards me but I back away.

“No. What have you heard he’s done?”

“I heard today that the boys go out after every live show they do, and sometimes just for fun.  It could be anywhere from once every other week to three times in one week, and they get pretty well drunk.”

“So, they’re legal, except for Harry.  Louis’s almost 20, I don’t see what the big deal is.”

“Every time they would go out, Louis would search the club or bar or whatever for a girl.  And he would find one, take her home, and sleep with her.”

No. No he doesn’t.

“And the next day he would be gone.  He would leave nothing for the girl, not even a not to say good-bye.”

I look at her.  ”Well, what, you just expect me to believe it right away? There’s rumors going around about them all the time.  People think Harry’s dating someone almost twice his age and he’s not.”

“Well I believe where I heard it from.  And I would hope you’d believe me too.”

“So I should just drop everything, tell him everything’s off? I won’t just because you want me to.  I trust him, and I know I’m not the only girl he’s been with and I know I’m not the last one either.”

“Well, honey-“

“Mom, you don’t know anything about them.  Harry would’ve told me if it was true, okay? I’m not believing you.”

“Okay.” She turns and shrugs her shoulders, she knows I’m stubborn.

I walk off to my room and sit down against my bed.  He can’t have.  He just can’t have.  Someone would’ve told me.  Kendall would’ve told me.  Harry would’ve told me.  Someone would’ve told me.

My phone vibrates and I get up to go look at it.

Louis <3: Everything okay??

I smile a little.  He changed his contact name.

uhm, yeah, i’ll be fine.

Do you want me to come and get you?

no, i just want to be alone.

What was she mad about?

I don’t reply.  I don’t want to talk to him about it.  Not yet.  So instead, I pull out my laptop and do everything I possibly can to see if the rumor’s true.  I can’t find anything, at all, and I’m relieved.  But it’s still nagging at me.  Mostly because it brings back that awful, awful day last year.  I rest my head in my hands and do everything I can to not think about it, but I can’t.  It all comes back.

It was October, and it was Homecoming. I had been in a relationship with my date, Nathan. The party bus was fine, and the dance was better.  On the ride home, I was drinking gatorade.  What I assumed was gatorade.  Someone had mixed it with vodka, and I had never drank before so I didn’t notice.  We were all sleeping over at Nathan’s friend’s house, and by the time we were there, I was completely drunk, more than anyone else. I didn’t know what I was doing, and I had tried to lose my virginity to sober, perfect Nathan.  He refused, and I made a fool of myself and had to call my mom to pick me up, which didn’t turn out so great either. Nathan had been avoiding me the whole week after the dance and I eventually found out Nathan had been the one that spiked my drink.  He didn’t do it to sleep with me, he did so that when he didn’t sleep with me, I would break up with him.  Apparently he had been sneaking behind my back with Brittany, and trying to get me to start not liking him.  But the thing was, I loved him.  And it took forever for me after that day that I dumped him in tears at school to have my finally get over him.  And that’s why my mom freaked out about us sleeping together, and her whole Louis thing she thinks.