Epilogue: Bäçk tø Šchool

It was around 7:15 a.m., the time that teachers would start to arrive to school and prepare last minute lessons. However, today was just as stressful for them, and for the students as well.

It was the first day of school at Baltimore Middle School.

Of course, the principal was holding the usual 'first day of school' meeting with the teachers. Time passed. Eventually the meeting room was full of teachers talking amongst each other about school subjects and dreaded lessons.

"Alright, everybody take a seat. We need to start this so I can send you all to your classrooms." Everybody's attention was suddenly turned to the principal and they all did as he said.

"First, I'd like to welcome everyone back. Now, last year was a great year. And with every year comes a new challenge." The principal paused and then continued. "I don't mean to alarm anyone, but we are low on budget this year which means there aren't going to be any field trips or fun activities if we don't do something about it."

He continued on about fundraisers, all scheduled at a certain time to cover expenses. "Are there any questions?" The principal asked after this talk.

No one seemed to have any questions, so the principal decided to end their meeting. "Alright. Everyone is dismissed. Remember to come to the next meeting on Friday this week."

Most of the teachers scrambled to the door while others hung back for a little. The principal walked to the back of the room, reaching the farthest corner table. He brushed his hand over the wooden surface.

Something was off.

He felt like he had been here before. Every word he spoke, every step he took. It felt like he had done it all at some point. But when? Further more, there was something that was missing from it.

He decided to leave to his office. Maybe it was just because it was the first day of school.

The school day went forward and the principal had already gotten a visit from a student who had broken a rule. But he didn't feel like he was there at all while talking with the student.

Eventually, the school day came to a close, and left the principal sitting there, unfocused. Maybe he should take a break from his work for a little bit and wander the halls. He walked down the long halls, not noticing the kids that broke the rules or bullied others into giving them candy.

The principal made his way to an empty classroom. He opened the door into the dark room. Desks all sat in neat rows of five or six, and a teacher's desk sat at the front with a long chalkboard on the wall behind it.

This was supposed to be a math classroom but they were one teacher short in the math division. No one had applied for the job in all these years and he expected that it would stay that way.

But again this was off-putting. He felt like there was someone that was supposed to be there sitting at that desk. But who? He couldn't put his finger on it.

His eyes traveled along the chalkboard. It was clearly unused, and most of the chalk sitting at the bottom holder was collecting a mighty amount of dust. He decided to take a closer look. Maybe there was something he was missing.

When at the front of the darkened room, his eyes followed along the chalk holder until it came to something that felt vaguely familiar.

A ruler turned face up to see all twelve inches lay along the far end of the chalk holder, untouched. Had this been here this whole time? The principal thought, thinking back to when the classroom was first here. Upon closer inspection, he could see that it hadn't collected dust compared to the rest of the board, and it looked like it was placed there recently. "How strange." The principal found himself saying.

Out of some instinct, the principal reached out, heading to touch the ruler. His fingers barely grazed across the surface of the ruler when he heard a voice.

"Į'm 5ørrÿ K3ñń1th."

The principal turned around at the sound of his name, heart pounding suddenly at the noise. But when he looked, he found no one there. "Wh-who's there?" The principal called into the dark room, looking around. No answer. Maybe it was just his head messing with him.

He turned back around to look at the ruler again, but it was gone.

The principal rubbed his eyes in confusion, trying to see if the ruler was still there. But it had seamlessly disappeared into nothing as if it never existed. A sudden chill crawled its way up his spine, making the whole aura of the room thicken with a sudden suspense.

The hairs on the principal's neck stood in end, causing him to turn immediately and walk as quickly as he could out the door. He closed it behind him loudly, suddenly out of breath. That room felt empty.

He felt empty.

<---->

A month had passed.

That room stayed empty.

The principal resumed his life rather normally, doing things a principal would do and spending most of the time doing paperwork. He never went back in that room. He even went as far as to block it off from all the staff accept for him.

As for what he'd experienced that first day of school, would forever remain a mystery. He would never figure it out. Never. Because nothing exists there. Nothing exists.

Because Baldi doesn't exist anymore.