Chapter Nineteen

Kurt woke up, yawning. His room was semi-dark, sunlight from the windows brightening it up. The lights were off, but he could see the stark-white walls.

He realized that the sound drowned out by his adrenaline that he had ignored must have been a gunshot.

There was a bandage wrapped around his waist, and an aching pain above his left hip. Guess that's where he got shot.

A button labeled 'nurse call' was just within his reach, so he pressed it.

"Hello?"

"Hi, um, it's Kurt Hummel. I just woke up, I was wondering if you guys could do your thing so my family can see that I'm alright..."

"Certainly. We'll send someone down."

"Thank you."

A doctor came in and checked all his vitals and such, including the gunshot wound which was a bit awkward. After he determined that Kurt was fine, he left.

Soon after his family filed into the room, along with Blaine. Everyone was looking at him worriedly, but he only had eyes for Blaine.

"You're not blaming yourself for any of this." Kurt said sternly.

"Yeah. Thad already made me promise."

Kurt smiled. "Come here."

"I don't want to hurt you." Blaine fretted.

Kurt rolled his eyes. "He didn't shoot my lips."

Blaine walked over to him and Kurt gave him a quick kiss. He just looked him in the eyes for a moment afterwards before turning to his family. "This isn't how I imagined you guys meeting, but this is Blaine."

"Are you okay?" Finn asked worriedly.

Kurt shrugged. "Technically, no, but I will be. I feel fine, it just aches a bit."

"Kurt, you were shot." Burt pointed out. "I thought you said your new school would be safer?"

"It is safer. I'd be dead if I were still at McKinley, not just shot."

The words hung heavily in the air. They knew he was right.