Chapter 24: My Past

~Kiera's PoV~

"And that's it," Cait said.

"We can be a trio," Jinx smirked. "I'll be the villain, Cait can be the officer and Kiera can be the double-agent. All three sides covered."

"Haha, I wish," I smiled weakly. I was recovering but I had about another half an hour or so before I healed completely.

Besides, what about Vi? Wouldn't it be rude to exclude her? Not that she would join us because of Jinx.

I felt bad though. I never even knew I had a sister when I had experienced the dragon's rage at the age of five. All I had was a faint memory.

~The Past~

I was at my house with my parents and my sister, Jinx. My mother had short red hair with pink eyes while my father had blue wavy hair so long that it could be tied into a ponytail.

I hear Jinx crying in our bedroom. Mother must've punished her for sneaking into the neighbourhood again. She forbids us to do so as there are many strangers in Zaun that could potentially harm us. Why does she go to the marketplace anyway?

I get punished too sometimes but for no real reason. The truth is that Jinx and I were abused everyday. We were the children that our parents never wanted - a troublemaker and a rose with thorns. I decided to sit beside Jinx.

"Jinx, did mom beat you again?" I already knew the answer. Her left eye had a purple bruise while her hands and legs were bleeding.

She nodded slightly, ever so pale and weak. I grabbed some bandages and put it on her.

"Don't worry, it'll be fine." But I know it won't.

"How would you know? You never get caught for anything and when you do, they only beat you a little bit. Not even enough to make your skin bleed," she sniffled.

I sighed. I was the favourite, if you consider not getting abused harshly as my sister a "favourite."

"Why do you go outside anyway? The only person we know is Singed."

"I like the outdoors," she said with tears coming down her face.

Mother and father knocked on the door and came into the room. Jinx pretended that she wasn't upset at all.

"We are going on a trip for a little while with you two," he says.

A trip? A trip to where?

"Where are we going?" I asked politely.

"Somewhere," Mom says. "So pack your stuff and we'll leave in an hour."

We left the room with two suitcases full of clothes and things that are important to us.

"Come on this way," Dad said.

Jinx and I followed him and mother. Pretty soon the sight of the pollution and the marketplace were long gone. We walked for hours and my legs were getting tired.

"How much longer?" Jinx moaned.

"Just a bit more."

We reach a cave deep into the forest. Jinx and I looked around confused. Why are we here?

"Hold on a second," Mom says. "I need to speak to your father privately."

They walked out of the cave. We didn't know how to get out as we were too deep inside the forest. An hour later, we realized that we were abandonned by our own parents.

"I want mom to come back," I cried. We just turned five yesterday. How do we survive?

"Well I don't," Jinx said spitefully. "We'll just learn how to survive on our own."