Chapter 4

“Reach back, lift your arms up!” Svetlana, my coach, calls out to me.
I let the tension in my muscles release, pulling myself into a biellmann spin. The feeling of spinning invigorates me. It feels as if I’m letting my worries go, and that I am spinning away from my problems. Not only do I get that phenomenal feeling when I’m spinning, I get it just by taking a step on the ice. Whenever I skate, I feel like I’m flying. Finally, I finish my biellmann spin, gasping for air.
“That was a perfect biellmann spin! Tatiana enjoys skaters with strong flexibility, and you are definitely one of those skaters,” Svetlana smiles.
My mind swirls like cotton candy with the thoughts of being accepted into Tatiana’s school. Just think, Ella, you could live in a foreign country and go to the Olympics! I couldn’t help but to bear a grin. This is what I’ve wanted all of my life, to train with my favorite Olympian. Tatiana would create a world of opportunities for me in figure skating. My only problem is if I would be accepted or not.
“Svetlana, do you think Tatiana will like me? What if she doesn’t?” I ask.
“Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question. If I were to give my opinion, Tatiana may disagree with me. We have different minds, so we have different perspectives about skaters. You just have to concentrate on your skating. If you don’t, you are setting yourself up for failure. Don’t stress, you’ll be fine,” Svetlana consoles me.
“When is the tryout? What do I need to practice for it?” I asked frantically.
“It’s next Thursday. We’ll have lessons all next week to make sure you are perfectly ready for Tatiana. There’s also a packet of what you will need to practice,” Svetlana hands a tremendously sized packet to me.
My mouth drops. I need to practice everything in that packet for a week? How on earth would I do that?
“We’ll work on your program tomorrow. Your triple axel is extraordinary, as well as your spins. Just remember, focus on skating. No need for nervousness,” Svetlana told me.
“Okay. Bye,” I said.
“Пока. Work on your Russian speaking!”