Chapter 9

I try my best to ignore Adam as I walk through the long, narrow hallway before getting onto the ice. I just can’t help but stare into his brilliant, gleaming blue eyes that are like the Mediterranean Sea. His eyes search mine, desperately waiting for me to say something to him. I look away, so he won’t talk to me. But he says something anyways.
“Hey. Can I talk to you?” Adam motions me over to him.
“According to my parents, no. According to me, yes,” I mumble.
He laughs softly, but I can tell that he is still upset. I climb up the bench to sit with him, but I keep my distance from him. After all, no one can resist Adam Chathaway!
“You know, I’m really sorry about what happened yesterday. I mean, I don’t know what possessed me to put my hands on you like that and kiss you. We’ve only been dating for two days now, and I rushed it too quickly. I do that sometimes. With anything. Even with skating, where I just land a new jump and suddenly throw it into my program. Then, I mess up at competitions. At Junior Worlds last year, I fell in my free skate because I just landed my quadruple lutz and decided to try it in my program. Just please give me another chance. I promise I won’t kiss you until we both feel that the time is right. I’m sorry,” Adam says strongly. He takes a few deep breaths, but manages to keep himself together.
“It’s okay. We all make mistakes and rush things too quickly sometimes. I understand. And I still love you.”
“I love you too. Wanna get some hot chocolate?” He asks me, smiling as if he just won the Olympic gold medal for Men’s Figure Skating.
“I would love to, but I can’t. I’m grounded,” I say sadly.
“That’s okay. Maybe next week. Bye.”