Chapter 12

As soon as Mrs. Felix, our skating club director, comes out with the paper of results from the tryout, everyone rushes over in hopes to see their name listed on that paper. Out of 160 skaters, there would only be 20 of them going to Russia to train with Tatiana. 5 men, 5 ladies, 5 pairs, and 5 ice dancing pairs. I say a quick prayer to myself and make my way up to the bulletin board. Some girls, like my best friend Maddie, have tears slipping down their cheeks.
“I didn’t make it,” Maddie cries to me.
“It’s okay. We learn more from our mistakes anyways. You’ll have more opportunities in the future awaiting you.”
I see the names listed for Ladies Figure Skating, and I read them from bottom to top, wincing with fear and excitement as I make my way to the top of the list.

Addison Hill
Hannah Bates
Liliana Serrano
Jenna Jashinski
Ella Harper

I get to the final name, and I am ecstatic. I can’t believe that I was accepted. I nearly cry tears of happiness because I am so grateful for this moment. Not only would I train with my favorite Olympic gold medalist every day, I would have the rewarding opportunity to experience Russia. Russian language, Russian food, Russian school, Russian life- you name it! I run over to Maddie and leap into her arms.
“I got in!” I yell.
“I’m so happy for you, El. Are you going to train in Russia now?” She asks me.
“Why wouldn’t I? I’m going to miss you so much though! You’ve really been a best friend to me in the last eight years. But remember, we’ll always keep in touch!”
After I talk to Maddie for a while, I scan the room for Adam, who is nowhere to be seen. I search the rest of the conference room for Adam. He isn’t there. I search the inside of the ice arena, in the bleachers. He isn’t there. I call his name in the hallways. He isn’t there. Where is he? I start to panic, but then, he jumps out at me.
“Surprise!” He shouts, handing me a balloon, a bouquet of flowers, and a bag of chocolates.
“Aww, you didn’t have to do this! Thank you!” I squeal.
“No problem. I knew you would get in, I just knew it. Heck, after we went out for celebrated your skate last Thursday, I bought these goodies for you. That’s how much I believed you would get accepted.”
“Did you get accepted?” I ask him.
“Yep. We’re going to Russia together!”
“Adam, I can’t believe this. This is amazing.”
“We were born to be on the ice with each other. No doubts about that.”