Chapter 19

“When did you audition for the FSA School of Moscow?” Aleksey asks.
“Back in February. I’m from the Blue Ridge Figure Skating Club of Denver, Colorado,” I say with such pride.
“Wow. You’ve come a long way, then.”
“Yeah. Do you skate singles, pairs, or ice dance?”
“Ice dance. What about you?”
“Singles.”
Aleksey starts the ignition in his blue Volkswagen. He drives me to the FSA School, which is programmed into his GPS. His car smells like old spice, or at least I think it did. I stare at all of the buildings that sit outside of my window, admiring the signs in Russian and crowds of people walking in the brisk air. This is going to be my new life in a matter of minutes. Alexei pulls into a large, paved parking lot soon after. The sign reads, “Welcome to FSA School of Moscow!” in large, red letters. He parks his car where the dorms were located, and we head inside. A girl who looks about seventeen or eighteen is sitting at the front desk and introduces herself. So far, everyone is super friendly!
“Привет! Я Полина!” The girl exclaims.
“Привет! Я Элла!”
“Oh, um...Ella doesn’t speak Russian fluently, Polina,” Aleksey says to Polina.
“No English, okay. I’m Polina Sebonichka, and I am the head of dorms #1 and #2. Добро пожаловать России и ФСА Школы в Mосква! You’ll really love all of the people here.”
“I sure hope so.”
“No worries, Ella. Tomorrow is New Student Orientation, and today; I’ll be showing you your dorm. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Alexei, you have my permission to leave.”
“Okay. Have fun, Ella!” Alexei winks at me.
“Thanks.” Then, I catch a glimpse of Alexei gazing at me with seductive eyes.
“Does Alexei have a crush on me?” I think to myself.
“Eh, probably not. He doesn’t even have time for a girlfriend.”