Chapter 25

FAST FORWARD: MARCH 2017
“Ella! Your quadruple flip is underrotated! You can do so much better!” Tatiana yells.
“I’m trying, I just feel distracted,” I tell Tatiana.
“You can’t win the Worlds if you have an attitude like that! No excuses! Go do it again, and I want it perfect!” Tatiana screams.
My eyes sting with tears, and my body is flooding with stress. Worlds are in a week, and I sprained my ankle a few days ago. My ankle cries in pain, aching from all of the jumps and skating I’ve been doing every day. I know I can land the quadruple flip. I landed it a few months ago. It’s just inconsistent sometimes. I practice the quadruple flip some more, but I keep falling.
“You have to land it! Ella, if you can’t skate your best, withdraw! I don’t know how else I can help you!” Tatiana shakes her head.
“Your lesson is over now. For the rest of this week, I want you to practice and practice. The Junior World Figure Skating Championships is the most important competition that you’ve been working towards all season long. There are only three spots for the ladies division of Olympic figure skating. If you place well, you will qualify for the Olympics. Listen to me, Ella. I can’t raise a champion if the athlete doesn’t work to be a champion herself,” Tatiana says to me.
“I’ll try my very hardest, I promise.”
“Thank you. Goodnight.”