Chapter 27

The city of Tokyo is incredible. The streets crowded with shops are becoming my shopping spree. The bold, vibrant signs are astounding and awe-inspiring. The mouthwatering food tastes scrumptious, as if heaven is swelling in your tastebuds. Adam and I take selfies throughout our walk around the city, and we kiss in front of the stupendous buildings that have roofs shaped like triangles on them. We eat sushi and drink matcha tea, and we double over in laughter when we see an adorable group of little kids playing with their Japanese toys. While we are watching the little kids, a profound feeling begins to hit me. It is the feeling of having a normal childhood. I miss the days when skating didn’t take my days of playing My Little Pony and hopscotch by the playground away from me. I miss the days of hanging out with my best friends. I miss the days of going to a private school before I had to be homeschooled. I miss the days of skiing in Denver and Colorado Springs. I miss the days of going on vacation with my parents. Most of all, I miss my life at home in Colorado. I miss my family, friends, and skating coaches. Instead, I am here in Japan now, getting ready to compete at the 2017 Junior World Figure Skating Championships.
“Do you ever miss your life back at home?” I ask Adam.
“Sometimes. Watching these kids makes me think of the short childhood that I had. I never got to experience some of the things that other kids got to experience. I’m a figure skater, though. I think the joy that figure skating brings me each day of my life is worth not having a normal childhood. Figure skating is worth a thousand memories, a thousand words, and it’s worth my life.”
Tears prick the corners of my eyes. I never realized how much figure skating means to the both of us.
“Let’s make the most of this day we have together. The championships start tomorrow, and we’ll have practice ice for half of the day,” I say to Adam.
“You’re right. You know, you’re what matters the most to me right now besides skating. I wouldn’t trade you for anybody else. Who could be better than my Ella Harper? I love you so much.” Adam wipes a tear away from his eye and smiles gratefully at me.
“I love you too,” I smile back at him.