Chapter 8

The next day at the rink passes by in a breeze. Before I know it, I am leaving the ice; my one arm around Adam, who is cuddling up to me like a cup of hot chocolate in the wintertime. He runs his fingers through my golden-blond hair and hums the melody of my Swan Lake program.
“Your program is stunning. You are my little swan, you know how to captivate the hearts of the crowd with your glistening grace.”
“Thanks, Adam. I love your program, you can get anybody to be in love with your skating. Whether if you’re skating to Phantom of the Opera or Romeo and Juliet, you’re able to astonish everybody with your explosive jumps and massive spins.”
“That’s Adam Chathaway, for you,” he jokes.
Something just almost stops my heart from beating after my conversation with Adam. As soon as I go to dry off my skates, he grabs my waist and pulls me into his chest. His chest feels as hot as a scorching desert, and he begins to press my lips onto his lips.
He is kissing me.
Shoot. What if my parents are sitting in the car,  watching me? What about my coach? My stomach is twisting into thick knots, and I feel as if I want to throw up.
“I gotta go,” I say, rapidly untying my skates and hurrying out of the rink.
Adam looks confused, possibly even a little bit upset. “What have you done? Why would you hurt the cutest boy of the rink’s feelings? Especially after you went out with him last night? How dare you!” My mind screams at me.
“What do you think you’re doing? Kissing a boy in front of me like that? That is completely unacceptable behavior in my rules!” My dad shouts at me in the car.
“Dad...dad...just let me explain,” I weep.
“I can explain...YOU’RE GROUNDED!” My dad yells.
“No...please don’t. Adam just loves me,” I cry.
“He could’ve done something else to you! You’re 13, anyways! There’s no need to kiss a boy like that! Wait until I tell your mother!” He screams.
There is an eerie, melancholy silence in the car the entire way home. When I get home, the smell of grilled salmon and sautéed vegetables fills the empty holes of fury that are poked through our minds. At the dinner table, my dad doesn’t even look in my direction, and nobody asks me how skating was.
Finally, my dad speaks up. “Do you have anything to say for yourself, Ella?”
I ignore him, pretending to be completely engrossed with my food.
“ELLA HARPER. YOU BETTER ANSWER ME RIGHT THIS MINUTE OR YOU WILL NOT BE SKATING NEXT WEEK. I WILL CANCEL YOUR TRYOUT!” My father speaks even louder.
“Fine. I kissed Adam,” I say indifferently.
My mother gasps. “Ella, what would possess you to kiss a boy without my permission?”
“He kissed me. I didn’t kiss him,” I correct her.
“Honey. Listen to me. You are 13 years old. You cannot let a boy take advantage of you after dating for only 1 day,” she takes a deep breath; trying not to become raged. “Your punishment is no contact with this boy for the next two days. Also, I’m taking your phone off of you for a week. I’m disappointed in you,” my mother shakes her head and sighs.
Just when my mother says that I can’t talk to Adam, I push my unfinished dinner plate away, run upstairs, and I leap into my bed. I cry and cry until the salty tears can’t fall anymore.
“What would I do without Adam?” I sob to myself.