Chapter 16

“This party is sick,” Adam says to me as I grab a cup of Addison’s homemade fruit punch.
“You should try the punch.”
“It’s good. Wanna dance?” Adam motions me over to the dance floor, where Jenna and Addison are doing the Cupid Shuffle. Come on, couldn’t the DJ play Watch Me Whip or Crank That instead? Cupid Shuffle isn’t my thing.
“Come on, Ella. Don’t be a sour grape,” Adam scowls at me.
“Fine.”
After a while, dancing with Adam became my escape. My escape from the thoughts of flying to Russia tomorrow. My thoughts of leaving my friends and family here in America. Nothing matters when I am with Adam. He is the light to my burning candle. I grab his shoulders and cling onto him. We press our noses against each other’s, and interlace our lips. We are kissing again. Only this time, it feels like the right time. It feels as if a firework cracked across the sky.
“I love you so much,” Adam whispers.
“I love you too.”
“I’m going to miss you, but I’ll be in Russia on Sunday.”
“I’ll miss you too.”
“My mom just texted. I have to go home,” I tell him with a sad smile on my face.
“I understand. Be safe. Have a good flight tomorrow.”
“Thanks.”
I hug Adam and my friends one last time, and I open the door to wait for my mom outside.
I am going to miss my life here in Colorado.