Chapter 14

“So, did you read that handbook and code of conduct last night?” Adam asks me as I sip my hot chocolate.
“Yeah. Some of those rules are really strict. Also, it’s kind of ridiculous that they don’t give us any breaks besides breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We’re not even allowed to leave our dorms unless there is an emergency, either. I guess we can kiss our social lives goodbye,” I add.
“Boys aren’t allowed in the girls’ dorms, so I don't know how we’re going to interact with each other,” Adam says with a frown planted across his face.
“That sucks.”
“It does, but we can always talk during meals,” Adam mentions, taking a nibble out of his croissant.
“What’s your skating schedule like? Same as mine?”
“Mine is similar to your schedule, but I have school from 8:00-10:00. I have skating and off ice classes the rest of the day except during break times.
“Alrighty then,” I slouch into a beanbag, resting my hands in my lap.
“Thanks for coming for a hot chocolate date today. I have to go now, my mom wants me home shortly,” Adam waves goodbye to me.
“Love you. Bye.”
I’m sitting alone now, slurping my hot chocolate. It has a rich, bliss flavor and a velvety texture. There is a perfect amount of whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top, which easily makes this cup of hot chocolate one of the best hot chocolates ever. I think to myself how in one week from now, I wouldn’t be sitting here in The Laughing Bean, sipping decadent hot chocolate and eating warm maple sugar donuts. I wouldn’t be at Blue Ridge Figure Skating Club, having a lesson with Todd or Svetlana. I wouldn’t be skiing with Maddie in the winter time at the ski resort. Worst of all, I wouldn’t be with my parents. I would be in Russia, skating all day; every day. My flight is booked, my bags are packed, and I’m ready to go. Mentally, I’m not ready. But there’s no turning back now.