Chapter 10

“C’mon now, don’t fizzle out at the end of your program!” My coach Todd calls from the boards.
I already fell on two of my jumps. In addition to that, my triple Axel was under rotated. Obviously, I wasn’t being Miss Swan Lake today. My head is in a storm cloud, feeling overwhelmed about Adam and next week’s tryout for Tatiana. The last thing I need right before this tryout is to have a terrible program.
“I’ve seen you do that program ten thousand times better. What you showed me today is unsatisfactory at your level. You’re getting too nervous,” Todd says to me.
“Yes, I can attack my jumps more aggressively.”
“Wait a minute. You can’t just focus on the jumps and the spins, you have to focus on your artistry. Your emotion. You can’t just skate a program with only jumps and spins. There needs to be a story. Skating is an art. Having the ability to connect with your music is just as important as your elements. Please work on your program as much as possible. The audition is in two days!” Todd exclaims.
“I will. I have a lesson with Svetlana tomorrow.”
“Thank you. You seem drained and lifeless today. Are you okay?” Todd questions me with concern.
“I’m just nervous. Something’s also bothering me outside of skating. Not something I want to discuss though.”
“Okay. Let me know if you need anything. Also, don’t be nervous for this tryout. You are a strong skater. You just need a strong mindset. You can do this,” Todd pats me on the back.
“Thanks. I’ll see you on the day of my tryout.”
“No problem. Remember to get a goodnight’s sleep the night before the tryout!”
I exit the ice, feeling disappointed with myself for how I skated today. If Tatiana saw how I skated today, she would be disappointed too. Tomorrow has to better than today. And the audition would have to be the best.