Chapter 29

I skate off the ice after my program, carrying a giant teddy bear and a stuffed dog. I feel sweat seeping in my palms, but I am smiling and waving to the audience. I step into the Kiss and Cry area with Tatiana, as we await my scores.
“That was the best free skate I’ve ever seen from you. It was even better than your audition from a year ago. You were outstanding,” Tatiana tells me.
“Thank you.”
“The scores for Ella Harper…161.64. She is currently in first place. This now concludes the Junior Ladies Free Skating event,” the announcer says.
161.64? I broke the world record for the highest free skate score for a junior ladies figure skater. I shriek with astonishment.
“Congratulations, Ella. You broke the world record and won the Junior Worlds!” Tatiana happily hugs and kisses me. I excitedly pump my fists into the air and blow kisses. I am ecstatic that I won the Junior Worlds again this year! Now I just have to wait to hear the Olympic team for Russia be announced!
“Ladies and gentlemen, your 2018 Olympic team for the country of Russia…
Stanislava Khorkovsky and Igor Patrov
Ekaterina Midova and Artur Vasilev
Valentina Artemieva and Stephen Pimenov
Peter Gobilev
Adam Chathaway
Seven Clark
Sarah Green
Elena Federova
Nina Kostareyva
“What? I didn’t make the Olympics? I won the gold medal though.” I say to Tatiana in disbelief.
“That’s a mistake. I’m going to talk to the judges tomorrow,” Tatiana comforts me.
“Thank you, Miss Tatiana.”
“My pleasure. You deserve to go to the Olympics!”
I can’t believe that winning the gold medal didn’t qualify me for the Olympics. I feel crushed, like a deflated balloon. No Olympics. I guess I can kiss my whole Olympic dream goodbye now. But something doesn’t feel right though. There has to be some mistake!