chapter 1

Shawn's POV

{present day}

I quickly hopped out of the car and began following Luke, my security guard, into the crowded venue. I pushed my anxiety to the back of my mind and decided to shed my focus from the overflowing amount of people, but the bellowing of the fans and the paparazzi didn't help.

"Shawn! Over here!" The paps kept shouting at my face as I made my way inside the building, closely brushing past the unfamiliar faces.

There were a bunch of fans outside too and as much I would have loved to stop for pictures, I was very very late. I waved at them and almost ran inside. I was immediately greeted by some faces from my management team, who had arrived just a few minutes earlier, but with time I had become so accustomed to the boring tradition of going over the repetitive process prior to entering the main event, that my thoughts couldn't stay stagnant and my mind drifted elsewhere.

I think she's already here. She must be.

"Come on. Pictures first and then a few interviews. Just a few, okay? We're running late. Then we can go inside. You're on after Female Artist of the Year is announced, at 3pm; after that, get changed and back to the ceremony. You have been seated next to Taylor Swift and Camila Cabello." Samantha, one of the oldest member of my management team and one of my intimate friends, continued giving me more details regarding the customary exercises before the main event, but my brain got fixated on that one name that has overtaken more of my life that I ever wanted it to.

Never had I imagined that the girl who seemed selfish and annoying to me since the day I knew her, would completely captivate me and then change my entire life. Neither had I, in my wildest dreams, ever thought that she would stick around for so long, that we would share so much of our lives together and share so much history and chemistry with each other and that it would all amount to nothing yet everything.

I know you're confused, like none of this makes any sense, that I'm rambling; now imagine how I feel with these thoughts circulating my mind every hour of every waking day. Our story is twisted and confusing and painful.

We've been through a lot of stuff in the past and there are uncountable memories attached to our bond that has carried us to the extremely secure and tight friendship that we are at, but some of these memories were better off being buried deep inside our hearts, never to be dug up again. I know Camila has managed to do so, but unfortunately I could never forget what we had and all the love we shared and all the heartbreak she has put me through.

I went on to the loud red carpet filled with innumerable people gathered around and the bass of the background music reverberating through me, and posed for a few pictures as I was directed to, until my eyes landed on her. She gave me that bright smile of hers that could ease me instantly and started waving her hand a bit too aggressively, making me chuckle. I waved back at her, but a little less enthusiastic to her dismay, and then continued with the pictures, trying to hide the ecstasy I felt on seeing her.

I hope someday she realises how I feel when she's around and how she makes me feel.

{4 years ago}

"Shawn! Right here!" Simon shouted from the other end of the noisy cafeteria filled with high schoolers who were busy catching each other up on the latest gossip or just being relived to be in the presence of people they genuinely enjoy being around after spending hours in boredom.

"Saved you a seat dude!" Simon, the confident and charismatic boy that he was, continued shouting without a hint of shame or insecurity to him. I walked over to him, slightly embarrassed by how loud he was but replied with a smile nonetheless. I sat across from him and Ben, the only two guys who I got along with extremely well at school and who I believed had my back.