chapter 2

Camila's POV

{present day}

"You've had such a good year and you have five nominations tonight. It must be so insane, given it's just the very beginning. How do you feel?" The interviewer asked me with a giant grin going from ear to ear that must surely cause pain at the end of the day.

I remembered the same words I have been repeating for some time now, replying with similar words to familiar questions. "I feel so so grateful for everything. It's still like a shock to me, like all of this-" I was caught off guard when I heard a very familiar name being called out. I was forced to tear eye contact from the woman in front of me towards the source of that name.

"Shawn! Shawn!"

Shawn Mendes. Nemesis turned best friend with a whole lot of history.

He was wearing a light grey suit that made him seem well-built and he had straightened his hair.

Why would he do that? He looks so weird without his curls.

I waved at him frantically to catch his attention and it worked. He gave the classic polite smile he always offered the faces in public places and waved back.

We were used to pretending to be a lot less friendlier than we actually were, because something about his manners suggested that he liked being less intimate in public lest people perceived our relationship the wrong way. We were the best of friends and I knew he wanted to keep it that way, and has always wanted to do so, but I kept messing up numerous times in the past but I think I've found my ground now.

I quickly finished up the interviews and entered the big hall where the main event was to take place. It was presently just rows of empty seats waiting to be filled by some of the most talented people in the world and it was crazy to think that me and Shawn made it among these stars, it was unreal.

I was guided to my seat at the very front where I was seated next to Taylor, and next to Taylor was Shawn. My two favourite people who have had my back, always. Even when everyone else refused to believe in me, they did, especially Shawn, which is why he's so special to me; he's a constant in my life and I wish to keep it that way.

Taylor was already there, mingling with the people and entertaining them with her charismatic personality. Her smile doubled in size on seeing me and she immediately leapt towards me for one giant hug and started chatting after. A few moments later, entered Shawn. He had a big smile on his face and he went on to hug Taylor first, followed by me.

Shawn always gives the coziest and the warmest hugs I have ever had. I feel safe in his arms, as cheesy as that sounds, but it's a familiar pair of arms that have held me through the toughest of times so I'm allowed to think that way.

We sat down, talked some more, mingled around a bit as the official ceremonies began and within a few short moments, that passed by like the wind, it was time for my first big performance in a star packed award show. I was nerve-rackingly nervous. I had prepared for this moment for a long while, I waited for years to get to this point in life, to be surrounded by music and art and be able to represent myself to them and it was finally all happening. It was getting hard to breathe.

"You're up. All the best." The sound technician said to me as I folded my hands together to pray that I don't fail myself. I really didn't want to mess up this moment, this was like a moment of great revelation and the beginning of a new chapter in my life with people finally believing in me and my music and genuinely enjoying it enough to give me this stage and this opportunity to prove myself.