Ch. 8

It's been a few weeks since we've seen or heard from Alpha Black and I can't help feeling that he's up to something. Miyako says that we must be careful from now on to not let the humans know about us and find the Titan shifters as quickly as possible. But the only Titan shifter scent I'm smelling is Eren's, the other two must be somehow hiding their scents. I doubt that they know about us though so they're doing it unintentionally. I wonder what-

"Hey Alex!" a voice calls out.

I turn around to see Armin and my thoughts turn to mush. I grin happily and ask, "What's up?"

"I need help cataloging the books in the library. Mind helping me out?" he asks hopefully. "You're the only one who seems to like books as much as I do."

"Of course," I said jumping on the opportunity to spend time with Armin.

"Let's go." Armin and I walk side by side, butterflies fluttering around in my stomach.

I've never felt this way about anyone, but when Armin is around, I couldn't help feeling over the moon. As we walk toward the library, I couldn't stop the stupid grin that was sure on my face the whole way. I guess you can call this a perk of pretending to be a human. I look at Armin and drink in all his features. Armin catches me staring and blushes.

"W-What?" he asks embarrassed.

"Nothing", I said in a playful tone.

He shoves me jokingly, but I barely even move from the force of it. We laugh when I hear Miyako tell me, "I saw one of Black's betas in the trees."

My laugh died in my throat and I questioned worriedly, "What? Are you okay?"

"They were watching me while I was cleaning the stables. I think Alpha Black wants to make sure we're doing our job", she growls irritated.

"I'm coming. Stay where you are", I ordered.

"Alex?" Armin calls out.

I look at him guilty and he inquires, "What's wrong?"

"I forgot I had to meet up with Catherine", I lied to him, sighing.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise", I said apologetically. I peck his lips before leaving in a run.

---

"Finally!" Miyako groans.

"Sorry, I was with Armin", I said breathlessly.

"When aren't you with him?" she teases before getting serious. "I saw the Betas run away when they realized I could see them. We're going have to shift to catch up to them."

"What do you mean by 'shift'?" a voice asks.

We turn around to see Reiner and Bertolt, each holding a bucket and a rake. Miyako said wary, "I thought everyone went inside."

"Levi found out we left these things outside and ordered us to put them away", Reiner explained suspiciously.

I breathe in through my nose again and my eyes widen in realization. They smelt like Eren, but Eren is not here so that means...

"It's them", I said to Miyako, who discreetly smells the air and her eyes widen in realization.

"It's about goddamn time", she says in relief.

"What are you talking about?" Berdolt asks slightly nervous.

"Don't worry about it", Miyako says waving him off.

"And to answer your question, Reiner, we were going to shift into our normal clothes and sneak out of here before anyone could realize it", I said smirking.