Chapter 2

(Slight mention of a trigger or two.  You have been warned.)

-Phoenix's POV-

  Holy hell, finally!  Almost done with my first day back to this prison.  Nothing that bad has happened yet, except for my face being used as target practice by my asshole cousin.  Hopefully, it stays that way.

  Not feeling that hungry, I only buy a salad and a cup of water before walking to the only empty table in the entire cafeteria.  Not questioning why it's empty, I place my food on the table before sitting down, noticing how most of the kids at surrounding tables are staring at me, eyes narrowed.

  I don't even have to try to listen to hear what they're talking about.  What happened in the hallway earlier, why I might be back and if I would kill one of them, all the normal things, the normal taunts.  I don't show that I'm aware of what they're saying, that would only cause problems for me. 

  I begin eating my salad, getting about halfway done before one of the crackers that have been flying past my head hits me.  I pause and look up, swiveling my head around to see who it was who threw it.  Making direct contact with a raven-haired boy with bright red eyes, I come to my conclusion.  It was those assholes. 

  They saunter over like they own the place, looking at me in the same way one might look at a bug.  Disgusted, but intrigued with dark curiosity that could only mean one thing.

"You finally decided to show your face again, huh?  What, did you get tired of hiding from what you and your father have done and come to get new prey?" Nathan sneers, his crimson eyes flashing dangerously.  I don't reply, only staring back.  That doesn't go over well.

  I don't have time to react as he lunges forward and grabs my hair and tugging, pushing my hood off.

"Answer me, you bitch.  I asked you a question."

  I glare at him, his friends standing behind him with amused faces.  Terrance fake frowns, making a crying motion with his hands.

"Aw, what's wrong?  Is the baby so scared that she's speechless?  Is she gonna cry?  Come on, use your big kid words!" he taunts.  I grimace, eyes focusing on him before looking back into Nathan's.

"Go to hell," I hiss.  I can see that none of them expected that from me, seeing as I've always been known for not being able to stand up for myself, for being a weakling.  But as soon as they get over their shock, Nathan slams my face into the tabletop.  At this point, the entire cafeteria is watching what's going on. 

  I groan at the impact but make no indication that it hurt other than that. 

"Aw, come on, you baby!  Cry!" Terrance mocks once more.  I grit my teeth and claw at Nathan's hand, the scent of blood instantly invading the vicinity.  He lets go of my hand, swearing as blood trickles down his fingers. 

  I stand up and turn to face the group, ready to curse them out when I'm smacked in the back of the head.  Down I go.  I twist onto my back and see it's Springshit that clocked me.  I'm about to start kicking at his legs, but Nathan steps on my chest.

  He puts pressure on it, the force straining my already injured ribs.  I can feel them start to crack as he grins cruelly.  As at least two of my ribs audibly snap, I yell in pain, getting laughs from the group above me.  Not thinking, the world cuts out and I'm suddenly standing up behind Trap, panting and clutching protectively at my torso.

  The group once again seems shocked that I'm not taking their abuse, but I don't focus on anything but Terrance and Trap. 

"I hope you two are happy, treating your younger cousin like shit every time you see her.  I wonder every time, why you hate me so much, why our family would use me as a punching bag.  My conclusion?  BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL TOO DAMN SCARED OF ADMITTING WHAT HAPPENED IS REAL, TOO SCARED OF GETTING HELP!  INSTEAD, YOU TAKE IT OUT ON THE ONE THAT WAS FORCED TO WATCH EVERY SINGLE THING THAT WAS DONE, TO THEM AND STILL HAS NIGHT TERRORS ABOUT IT!  I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY WITH YOURSELVES!" I screech, knowing that the other family members in the cafeteria will surely hear me.  I kick Springtrap in the kneecap and he goes down, hard.  Spotting Spring across the cafeteria, next to my only friend, both watching with wide eyes, I finally break.  I start letting my tears flow down my cheeks as I run out of the room, to the library.