Chapter 23: (I need to make title names)

Phoenix's POV

I wake up to my phone pinging. Feeling extremely sore and drained, I carefully roll over, hissing when I turn, the stab wound stinging. I check the text, and see that it's from Jeremy.

Hey, how was school?

I quickly reply.

It was ok. I got into a fight though. Again.

O. Seriously? Again? Who with?

Trap. He was attacking the new girl.

Wait, a new kid? U stood up 4 her?

Yes.

Wow. I'm surprised.

Gee, thanks Jeremy. I...actually felt like I had to protect her, like I feel that I have to protect you.

Rlly? That's surprising, u never defend anyone except me.

I know that. But Cici was being attacked. I fought Trap for her.

O. How hurt r u?

...

Phe?

He cracked some of my ribs, I have several bruises and cuts, and my ankle is sprained. I also have a black eye and a busted lip.

What about him? How hurt is he?

Do you even care about him?

No. U dont either, I just want 2 know how bad u hurt him.

I dont know. The principal took him away before I could see.

O.

Yeah. Afterward, Cici's friends found us. They're also new kids, and they actually want to be my friend, even though I told them about who my father is.

Really? How many new kids r there? But that's awesome! They like u!

5 new kids. But they could just waiting to stab me in the back once they gain my trust.

Phoenix, give them a chance. They're giving you one.

Fine. Oh, btw, how are you feeling? I know you went home sick earlier.

I feel terrible. I threw up 2x already. I had to sneak to our tree house so my dad didn't hurt me.

That's it, I'm coming over with medicine and food.

No! Ur going to get in trouble!

I don't care, you're practically my brother. I'm not going to sit back and watch you be sick with no help.

No, Phe, I'm fine!

I don't respond to that, raising an eyebrow, even though he can't see me.

There's no changing your mind, is there?

Nope. I'll be there soon, okay?

Ok.

My head shoots up as someone knocks on my bedroom door. W-who could that be?

Wait, hold on a minute. Someone's at my bedroom door.

Ok, be careful.

I will.

I put my phone down and says, "You can come in." The knob turns and what I see surprises me. It's the new kids. They seem nervous, and Cici is the one that spots me first. She shoved past Freddy and runs over to me.

"Phoenix! Are you okay? I'm sorry about earlier, I didn't-" She says quickly, but I cut her off.

"I'm fine, Cici. Thanks for worrying though. I'm just a little sore. And I'm the one that should be sorry, Trap wouldn't have attacked you earlier if it wasn't for me. And I shouldn't have run off like that."

The boys are standing in the doorway, and I smile gently waving them over.

"You guys can come in, just shut the door after."

They walk over and sit next to me, though G seems to want to stand further. I shrug it off. Freddy looks at me, his blue eyes piercing. I tilt my head, knowing that he has a question.

"Why exactly did you run off?" he asks. Everyone stares at him, but I stare down at my sleeves. I tug on them slightly, and Foxy speaks up.

"You don't have to answer that if you don't want to."

I let out a shaky breath, but shake my head. "I might as well tell you. My father texted me saying that I should have been home 20 minutes before he texted me. I don't like being late, because...well, him being angry isn't the safest thing."

G looks over at me. "There's more to that, but we won't push you."

I tense, and look at him from the corner of my eye. I know what I'm going to do is risky, but I don't care. "If you want to know, I'll let you see, Gavin. You have the ability to look through people's memories and thoughts, so why don't you find out yourself?"

Everyone stares at me, but then G asks, "Are you sure?" and I only nod.

Gavin's POV

She seems extremely nervous, but she's letting me look. I activate my Magicks and enter her mind. It's from earlier, when she got the text. What she's saying is true. But...instead of using the mental block she has, she allows the memory to keep going.

I'm seeing what she saw, and feeling the same fear as her. She's walking down the stairs, and I can identify instantly the rank smell of decaying bodies. Apparently she could also identify it.

She gets into the basement, and turns to a door. I can already tell what's in there, but when she turns the knob, I think our reactions are just about the same. Dead, decaying bodies everywhere, the smell overwhelming. Someone shoved her from behind, and she turns to see...her father.

I'm kicked from the memory, and everyone is staring at the two of us in worry. My eyes are wide, and I feel breathless, like I had just been sprinting. I look at Phoenix and I can see that she's shaking.

"Gavin? Phoenix? Are you okay?" Ben asks. I swallow my spit, trying to speak. Phoenix stays silent.

"I-I...Phoenix, we need to call the cops."

Her eyes dull and she looks at the wall.

"No. We can't call them. They won't believe us. And if my father finds out, he'll do bad things. He'll try to kill me, and try to kill you guys. I won't let that happen."

The others are all extremely worried now.

"Phoenix? What are you two talking about?" Cici asks. Phoenix shakes her head and stands up.

"N-nothing. But I need to get some medicine and supplies, my friend needs them."

"Why?"

"He's sick. You guys can come with me if you want."

"Sure."

I wonder if this friend is the shy boy she talks to? Well, we're going to find out.