Retreat

The emerald bed of grass was filled with the expensive shoes of the rich people of the capital. The rest of the people watched from their balconies and windows. A long rectangular table sat on the small stage, decorated with a rainbow of food, fruits and drinks. The yard had not been decorated this expensively since the king's coronation, Edmund knew that this would distract them from the atrocities of the city, he knew that it would stop them from complaining for a while.

"Welcome everyone! Make yourselves at home, eat as much as you want, for this is a day to celebrate, to celebrate the birth of a king that shall rule you in the future, the greatest king of all!" Edmund raised his goblet and all the guest followed and cheered.

From the corner of his eye, Edmund saw a guard in the distance, staring straight at him and they both nodded at each other. He took this as a sign and stood up again. Everyone turned their attention on him.

"My dear people," Edmund's voice boomed across the city "Today is not only a day to celebrate, but also to appreciate our lives and remember that we can lose our lives in any moment, but fear nothing, my people, for I am your king and I shall protect you from any harm!"

Everyone looked around in confusion, before a roaring sound appeared from somewhere beneath the castle. The people froze in silence as they watched grey wings emerge from behind the castle, the wings were covered in armour-like silver scales that flapped to the top. The people craned their necks and a face appeared along with the wings, its mighty blazing eyes sat within its solid skull. The wings started to create an air current and people started to duck down in fear.

"Fear not my people, I want you all to stay calm. This dragon is my secret weapon that I have been hiding for years and now is my time to use it, an enemy is marching from the west and I will stop them! Go to the castle dungeons, they will keep you safe, others can go to the throne room, but I am afraid not all of you will fit, so others can run in the Eastern direction and hide in the small woods."

Everyone scrambled to escape, chaos erupted in the city and people were pushing and shoving to get the safest places. Edmund climbed his dragon and ordered it to fly "Spread your wing Gurra, you've been trapped for too long," he stroked the dragon's rough scales and they flew up to see that the battle on land had already started, the battle of humans and magicians.

--------------------------------

"Darren, what is going on outside?" Dyron asked as he adjusted his helm, they walked through the dark halls and away from the cells.

"I don't know sir, It doesn't sound so good,"

They walked silently through the halls until they ran into some other guards.

"Darren, what are you doing here?" one of the guards asked "This is no place for a throne hall guard,"

Darren gulped slowly "I was just here to see another guard, but I heard noise outside, what is going on?"

"We're being attacked, it's pretty bad out there," another guard said.

"Who is this man?" one guard asked, staring at a stiff armour that held Dyron inside.

"He's new here," Darren said, sweat dripping down his forehead as he tried to stay calm.

"Hey, lift your helm,"

Dyron's eyes widened.

"Did you not hear what I said? Lift the helm,"

Darren did not have any time to waste, so he took out his sword and dug it in the guard's chest, Dyron and the other men took out their swords.

"I knew something was off here," a guard said as he swung his sword at Dyron, but Dyron blocked it quickly. They fought against each others strength until Dyron slipped his sword away and plunged it into the guard. Darren was already done with the remaining guard.

"Let's get out of here!"

---------------------------------------

"Venkalth! Why are they so prepared!" Lazarus yelled from where he sat on his dragon.

"It seems like Edmund saw right through us, he isn't a fool after all," his eyes seethed as he saw a third dragon emerging from behind the castle.

Edmund smirked at them and got closer.

"So you brought out the beast, after so many years," Venkalth yelled over the sound of swords clashing and people dying.

"Oh yes, she's very hungry... for blood that is. So you brought out an army of magicians, against my army of heavily trained men, and don't forget that I have twice as many men. I suggest you withdraw now, I have a ceremony to finish, and you won't last for long."

Venkalth scowled, "I will not forget what you have done to us Edmund!" the name left his lips in a growl "We will be back, stronger and we will bring you down!"

He signalled Lazarus to blow the horn, and once it was blown, they started to retreat back West. Edmund sat smirking on his dragon, watching the pile of dead people on the border of the capital, watching as they burned to ashes. 

----------------------------------

aaaah what?! The king knew?! and he was prepared?!!!!!

Please vote and leave comments!!