Chapter Twenty-Six: Ladybeetle

Adrien strode into Master Fu's home and practice with controlled anger. He didn't want to be there, but it was necessary to the plan. He knew he had to apologize to Fu, but it would go faster and better if he kept a stern tone. He didn't even ask if he could come. He opened the door, accidentally slamming it into the wall. Fu had a customer on his rug, who was startled by the loud bang. "I need the earring." Adrien looked the guardian right in the eyes.

"Young man, now is not the time, you need to underst-"

"I need the earring now." Fu saw the anger as it escaped Adrien's eyes, and he hesitantly backed up and opened the miracle box, taking out the lone earring.

"A-Adrien?" Fu asked as the earring was snatched from his hand.

"What?" He practically spat. Was he overdoing it?

"I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it. You were right." Adrien whipped around and strode to the door, leaving Fu in a state of shock. Adrien heard the customer questioning Fu as he ran out of the building. He slid the earring into a small Ziploc baggie and ran across Paris. There were a few people watching and following him, but not as many as the time he tried going to the theater. Cars honked as he ran across streets, and people yelled as he barely avoided them. He actually slammed into someone at the park.

"Hey! Watch where you'r- Adrien?" He had run into his classmate Alix. "Hey, get back here!" she screamed as he continued to run.

"Sorry Alix!" he shouted back. He made in to his front gate gasping for air. He just barely had enough stamina to make it. He used to be able to run for ages, but being dormant for a year had decreased his ability by a large chunk. He decided against sneaking in, and rang the doorbell. The camera popped out, and Nathalie's ill voice came over the speaker. She coughed, and spoke.

"Adrien? Where have you been?" she asked weakly.

"I-I had to get my homework from my friend Alix." He lied. Nathalie sighed.

"Just come inside, and don't leave the house without informing me or your father." The gate opened as the mic shut off, and Adrien made his way through the grand front door. His father had left for a meeting with a magazine to get an edition for his new collection, and Adrien was carrying out their plan. The earring was in his house somewhere, and Adrien's job was to find it. "Adrien." Nathalie came around the corner as he entered the grand foyer. Her skin was pale, and her hair looked greasy. Her cheeks were slightly sunken, and her eyes were dull. A peculiar shaped pin was on her blazer, and Adrien's eyes caught on to it. "I must leave to make the preparations for the Agreste Gala."

"T-the what?"

"The gala. Don't you remember? To commemorate your return. It's on Saturday." Adrien barely could comprehend her words. His eyes were still on her pin. It was familiar. Nathalie coughed again, and he knew why it was so familiar. The pin. It belonged to his tormentor. Nathalie was Mayura... he knew he shouldn't be surprised since it was most likely his father was Hawkmoth, but it still hit him like a brick.

"Uh.... Yeah. Sorry. Forgot. I'll be upstairs in my room." Nathalie nodded.

"You have a suit fitting for Saturday tomorrow at one."

"Thank you." Adrien watched as she walked out the front door, then ran up the stairs. His initial thought was his father's study. Anything he didn't want his son to see, he would keep there. The door made not a single creak as it opened. On the desk was a lit lamp and stacks of paper. A picture frame of Gabriel and Emilie was also there. Right next to his wedding ring. Why wasn't he wearing it? Adrien pushed the thought aside and began rummaging through drawers. He found lots of documents and licensing on the Agreste brand, as well as designs for future and past projects. It took less than ten minutes for Adrien to know the earring wasn't there. He grumbled in frustration, and walked into the next room. The huge golden portrait of his mother was on the wall, and Adrien remembered. Gabriel put his most important possessions in a safe behind the image.