Chapter 17: The Attack

Jess:

I suddenly hear some dogs barking just outside my window. I pulled the curtains back. I saw a lady screaming with her two dogs barking at something. I looked to my left and saw...two wolves. One was large and had grey fur, the other one was a lot small and had black fur. I stumbled backwards and nearly fell down. "There are no wolves in Australia," I said. I still looked out the window and watched the fight. The black wolf looked like she didn't know what to do and just barked at the German Shepard's. The grey wolf ran in front of the black and one and growled at the dogs. His ears stood right on the top of his head and his top lip was filled back showing his sharp row of teeth. Nothing happened for the longest moment until there was a sudden flash. The next image I saw was the dogs biting the back of the black wolf. The grey wolf managed to get one dog of but only made the other one attack the struggling black wolf more. The lady stood there horrified. I opened my window and yelled at her. "Get your stupid dogs and leave they didn't attempt to hurt you did they?!"

"My pore baby's," she called to them. The black wolf had blood everywhere and looked like a broken leg.

"Call your dogs back so they don't get hurt," I yelled again. She looked at me and nodded. The dogs came back she ran away. The black wolf whined so loud I thought the other side of the world could hear her. The grey wolf somehow scooped her up on his back and ran out to the darkness. I sat on the bed and felt my heart beat. Obviously something wasn't right. First of all there was a wolf...no wolves in front of my window and second of all they way the grey wolf lifted the black one on it's back seemed to human like. The front door closed and I heard keys being dropped on the bench.

"Hello mum," I said running downstairs to the kitchen.

"Hello honey how have you been?" She asked tired.

"Oh fine and look I didn't burn the house down," I gestured around us. She gave me a faint smile.

"I noticed,"

"So mum have there ever been any wolves in Australia?"

"No never the only thing close enough to a wolf in a dingo,"

"The ones that steal baby's?" I giggled.

"No not those ones," mum joined in on my joke. We sat there for a few minutes then in got her some dinner and ran up to my room. Taia's stuff was still here and she wasn't back yet. I bit my lip and called her mobile

Taia:

Beck ran into his house with me in his arms. Tears ran down my cheeks. My clothes were soaked in blood and my right leg was broken. I had my arms wrapped around Beck's neck and cried into his top.

"Sh it's ok Taia don't worry," he said failing to reassure me.

"Beck my head feels heavy," I sobbed. He rested me down on a chair and out his arm on my shoulder.

"Taia just stay awake, I'm going to call an ambulance," he said and hesitated to leave me. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I got it out. Every move I made send a pain signal to my brain. Jess was trying to call me. I looked over to Beck but he was on the phone. I pressed decline and closed the phone. My leg felt like it was shattered and blood was everywhere. I felt so sleepy but I was to scared that if I did fall asleep I would never wake up. Beck shook me and I didn't notice I was falling asleep.

"Hey don't do that," he demanded. I nodded.

"Are they coming?" I whispered.

"Yes they are coming as soon as possible," he smiled at me but I could see he was worried in his eyes. I smiled back.

"Those stupid dogs," I mumbled.

"What was that?" He asked. I shook my head. Just like Beck had said the ambulance was here in a matter of minutes. Lucky too because my eyes were to heavy and I was to tired to stay awake. I closed my eyes and listened to the mutter of the doctor's voices. Beck squeezed my hand and I squeezed his back.

I opened my eyes a little. I saw Beck sleeping in the chair next to me. I moved my head back and took a long breath. Everything felt heavy. A nurse came into the room and I opened my eyes back up. She sighed with relief.

"So we did get to you in time," she classified.

"What do you mean?" I asked. She hesitated.

"Oh nothing I just want you to rest for the moment," she turned to Beck.

"It's ok he's fine," I reassured her. After she walked out Beck opened his eyes and smiled at me. I smiled back. We didn't talk for a while and let the silence linger.

"I sorry?" He apologised.

"What for?" I asked.

"I said I would protect you and look what happened your probity to scared to shift again," he explained. I rested my hand on his.

"Beck that was the best time of my life, you risked your own life I for me and I'm not scared at all it was amazing,"'I whispered.

"You don't mean it," he argued. I shook my head and kissed him. Once he pulled way I sighed.

"Does that settle it?" I asked and he nodded.