Episode Eight

After watching the guys walk inside the warehouse, I crawled into the truck to wait

After watching the guys walk inside the warehouse, I crawled into the truck to wait. I was a little surprised to find Thomas had left the keys in the ignition just in case they didn't return. It probably scared the crap out of him to imagine some psycho chick stealing his beloved ride, but unlike Derek, Thomas may have understood I had no intention of ditching them.

Dad had instructed me to get the medication, and I would get it no matter what. Otherwise Mom could die.

No! I wasn't going there. If they didn't come back in thirty minutes, I'd come up with a plan to get the guys out with the meds and get home.

I pulled out my phone to set a timer for fifteen minutes. They'd already been inside for about three.

For a while, I messed around on my phone, trying to see if I could get through to the outside world. Unfortunately, that was a big hell to the no.

With a turn of the keys, I switched on the truck's battery to check the radio. FM had been a static-fest before, so I switched over to AM.

Just like FM, all the stations were static, but as I was about to turn it off, the continuous search paused on a random frequency.

I sucked in a breath.

"... anyone can hear this, my daddy won't wake up." It was a young boy. "Momma called 911 when he wouldn't wake up, but they didn't answer so she said to stay here. She left this morning, and still isn't back. Have you seen my momma? She has brown hair and brown eyes..." The boy sniffled. "Her name's Gina. I know I'm not sposed to, but I'm using Daddy's radio... Daddy? Daddy! You're okay!"

My heart jumped. The Dad was awake. The boy let out a joyful laugh from somewhere in the distance. He sounded so happy.

"Daddy? That hurts. Ahhhhh!" The boy's scream was blood-curdling. "No! Daddy! No! Ahhhhh!"

The station cut to static. I frantically turned knobs and pushed buttons, trying to get the kid back, but there was only dead air. I sat back staring blankly at the radio.

That poor boy.

What just happened? It had to be some kind of joke. Someone was messing around. I mean, how in the hell could a little kid learn how to get on an AM frequency, anyway?

My gut clenched as the boy's screams bounced around in my head. That kid had to be the best actor in the business if that was a hoax. The desperation in the boy's voice had sounded so real.

Wait, a second. Why was I allowing my thoughts to go in such a stupid direction?

There was a simple answer to this. The kid said his dad didn't let him touch the radio and when his father woke up, he punished his son for disobeying before disconnecting the feed. Yeah, that had to be it.

If that was true, then why couldn't I get the boy's scream out of my mind?

I let my head fall into my hands until my timer went off a couple minutes later.