Episode Twenty Eight

"Locked and loaded?" Derek curled his hand over my shoulder, moving his thumb back and forth

"Yeah." The seatbelt bit into my neck when I turned to face him. "I'm scared. What if we don't all get there in one piece?"

Derek rested his elbows on the door and bent to look me straight in the eyes. His eyes were a warm blue in the sunlight. "We'll take this slow and steady. You stay on my tail and stay close. If anything happens, and we get separated, head to the trailer. That's home base. Okay?"

I tapped my thumb on the steering wheel and gave him a nod. "Okay."

Derek moved his hand around the back of my neck and pulled me in for a hard kiss.

"Gross!" Suzie said. "Get a room."

The laugh that came from me eased my nerves a little.

A smile tugged at Derek's lips as he pulled away to glance at Suzie. "If anything happens, you and Mindy stay out of sight."

"Okay." Suzie bit her lips together and stared at Derek.

"Everything will be fine. Thank you for taking care of Mindy." Derek's gaze softened on Suzie, squeezing my heart.

Suzie gave him a tight grin. "I'm glad I can help a little at least."

"And you're a big help, Squirt," Derek reassured her. The nickname Thomas gave to her seemed to be a part of Suzie now.

Suzie nodded nervously.

Derek's gaze fell back on me as a faint grin teased at the corners of his lips. "We got this."

"We got this," I repeated, but I didn't feel any better.

Derek squeezed my arm and walked toward Jenson's Expedition.

We had five vehicles and a motorcycle. Thomas was in front inside the crazy monster truck, Grant was second in my Civic, Derek was third in the Expedition, I was fourth in Dad's SUV, and Matt was last in Jim's Dodge Dually. Derek's motorcycle was safely stored in the bed of Thomas's truck.

Taking so many vehicles was a huge risk, but we need decent vehicles for the future. Who knew how long they would last, but it beat having nothing at all?

The trailer was a solid twenty-minute drive on a good day, but today I had a sinking suspicion an easy drive would be impossible.

We all started our vehicles, front to back. I'd tried to talk Thomas out of driving since he was still injured, but it was like talking to a wall. He wouldn't listen at all.

Grant didn't have his driver's license, but he and Derek swore up and down that Grant knew how to drive pretty much anything.

Mindy squealed when we started moving.

I glanced in the rearview mirror at Matt. He was a ticking time bomb since he witnessed Derek and I kissing. I didn't know what he would do next. I was just hoping he wouldn't get himself or any of us killed.