Episode Seventeen

Casey

Casey

Leaning my cheek against the shower tile was the best feeling in the world. It was so much colder than I remembered. It was as if heaven was welcoming me home.

My stomach rolled inside and out, and I was back in hell again.

I shouldn't have taken a drink of that soda. I didn't know if I should try to sit up and aim for the little shower drain, or if I should try to make it to the toilet.

Someone bellowed from far away, ripping through the depths of my painful reality.

It sounded like Dad.

Another yell tore through the house.

I moved to get up, but my energy was completely depleted, and my muscles were weak and mushy.

Footsteps pounded outside the door. They vibrated through the floor like frigging wild animals, but no one came in.

I could barely separate the cries from the shouts because everything sounded like I was deep inside a pool of white static.

My stomach rolled as I tried to stand again.

I had to help them. It could be Mom. I never asked about her condition and if she had the bleeds yet.

If Mom had the bleeds, she could wake up any minute. Earlier, I'd heard Thomas yell about Mitch's disappearance, and Mitch had been experiencing the bleeds for at least a couple hours.

Damn it! What was happening?

My brain wasn't able to think straight anymore. All I knew was that I had to get to Dad. He needed me.

Grabbing the shower curtain for support, I got to my knees.

My head spun, and I blinked my eyes several times before closing them altogether. I had to focus on breathing for now.

Another round of shouts and screams interrupted my static world before more stampeding vibrated the floor.

Were they running the other way now? What the hell was going on out there?

I desperately wanted to help, but I could barely move. Did I mention I hate being an invalid? Nothing I did in this state would help anyone, anyway. If anything, I would end up causing more trouble.

Cramps pulsated inside me as beads of sweat forced their way out of every pore on my body. Hot needles pricked at the top of my scalp, stabbing their way down my face and head until they took over my entire body. When the needle pricks ended, my body was on fire.

As the intense heat rush over my skin eased, I became fully aware again. For some reason, I was staring at the bite on my arm. It had a weird grayish tint around its swollen edges.

A twist in my belly reminded me to find a place to throw up. The toilet would be much better than the tiny drain. I didn't want to make a huge mess. What if I was about to throw up blood?