Episode Ten

"Casey?" Derek whispered

I tensed, glancing back to find Derek and Thomas standing directly behind me.

"Damn. Don't do that!" I whisper yelled still holding onto the knob. Frankly, I was afraid if I let go the maniacs would swarm out and shout for their friends.

Derek was at my back, carefully taking the two extra guns from me.

"Hey, you're hurt. I can carry those." I wondered if his eye hurt as bad as it looked.

"I'll be fine." Derek handed the second gun to Thomas.

Thomas wiped the blood off his brow, which appeared to be slowly streaming from his hairline. Thomas grabbed the gun from Derek like he'd held a gun a million times before.

They made eye contact and nodded at each other. What was going on?

"How are we getting out of here?" I whispered, breaking up their little moment.

Derek gently pulled me away from the door, pressing my back to the wall. Thomas moved to take my position at the door.

Derek pulled my attention back to him when his hand grasped my waist and he pressed his cheek to mine. His lips hovered just over my ear. "No matter what you hear, please stay out here."

I shook my head. "No. That's what you said earlier and..."

He pulled his head back just enough to look me in the eye. His expression was grim. "I know, but this will be fast."

My lips found his ear as his hold on my waist tightened. "Please don't kill them."

I mean, yeah, these people were total cowards, but killing them in cold blood had to be the worst possible thing. That made us like them, didn't it?

"I can't promise that, Casey," Derek whispered. "They won't let us just walk out of here. There's more just like them inside the building. All it takes is one yell for help across the warehouse, and we're all dead. These guys are trained. They killed people here, Casey. They were going to kill us." He let out a soft chuckle. "You know what they told us?"

Our cheeks caressed one another when I shook my head.

"They said they were beating us up because they were bored and wanted to work on their hand to hand combat skills. They handcuffed us before they started kicking the shit out of us. I need to get you out of here alive. Just wait a couple minutes, please." Derek's voice was shaky. He needed to do this.

My shoulders dropped. I knew it. These people were trained killers. They'd done a lot more than abduct children and beat up my friends. "Okay. I'll wait two minutes."

When he pulled back, his lips made slight contact with my cheek. "Thank you for saving us. Now I want to save you."

His one good eye stayed on me to make sure I was listening to him. He wanted me to stay out of that room no matter what. When he saw the understanding in my eyes, his focus moved to his gun.