Episode Sixteen

Suzie

Suzie

Casey's screams ripped a hole through my heart as I watched Dad open her ugly bite marks while Derek filled them with alcohol.

This was all too much. Mom. Grant. Casey. The sickening scene that played out in my room.

As Casey let out another scream, I covered my ears. I couldn't listen anymore. What if she was going through all this just to die?

My shoulder hit Thomas as I backed up. His eyes were wide with terror, but when they landed on mine, Thomas gave me a tight grin before he whispered, "Go on. I won't tell anybody."

I nodded, trying to hold back my never ending tears. I couldn't help but feel the ball of guilt building inside. She didn't deserve this. Casey was the good one. She did everything right. I'd always been a little envious of how easy everything came to her, but that didn't mean I could stand by and watch her be willingly tortured.

Another scream bounced off the bathroom walls.

Wandering aimlessly down the hall, I slipped into the guest bedroom to check on Grant. The smell in here was worse, but the whole house held the stench of death now. My room was covered in the disgusting stink of death. Two people were dead inside it, and they'd moved the baby to Mom and Dad's bedroom.

I tiptoed to Grant and felt his head. He was burning up. The small glow of the nightlight told me all I needed to know. Grant would die too. He wasn't bleeding yet, but he was in the first stages of swelling. It resembled an allergic reaction of some sort.

I inched my way over to Mrs. Stanley and gasped. Dark lines ran out of her eyes into her hair. She was bleeding just as bad as Mom.

This wasn't good. Grant was sleeping with a killer and Mom... she would kill that baby. My mother would never do something like that, but she wouldn't be herself when she did it.

I didn't like how Mrs. Cunningham treated me, but she wasn't a killer, and she had gone after Casey. Mom would do the same thing. Casey said she didn't want to hurt Dad or me. It scared Casey, and I was terrified.

Exiting the room, I found myself by Thomas's side. The grimace on his face told me all I need to know. Casey wasn't doing well. Peeking in the bathroom, I saw her leaning over the tub, dry heaving.

My stomach tightened at the sight. Casey was sick.

"You okay?" Thomas whispered.

I glanced back at Dad who watched as Derek rubbed Casey's back while she continued to dry heave. I knew it would be a non-productive session because my sister had nothing left in her stomach.

Thomas elbowed me.

I glanced over at him and motioned for him to follow me into Casey's room.

Thomas's eyes darted around my sister's room until he finally walked to her vanity. Casey had taped pictures of her basketball team and friends down one side. He folded his arms and let out a deep sigh, closely analyzing each photo. "You know. I liked sports when I was in high school."