Episode Twenty Nine

When we finally made it to the trailer, the weight on my shoulders eased considerably

"We're here." I parked next to the green monster truck.

"Case, I'm scared. What if those girls change and hurt us?" Suzie held Mindy tight, protecting her.

"I know, Su. I'll talk with the guys and make sure you, Grant, and Mindy stay far away, okay?"

Suzie wouldn't look at me. "I'm terrified."

"That makes two of us." I twisted, encouraging her to make eye contact with me. "Just stay in the car for now, and I'll come get you in a minute. I'll send Grant over."

"Okay." Suzie sucked in her bottom lip and nodded.

Climbing out, I made my way to Thomas. He used to hop out of his truck, but jumping wasn't an option for him now. Grant was trying to help him down, but he was having a hard time. Thomas let out a loud yell when he stretched to reach the ground and fell to his knees.

I ran to Thomas's side, wrapped my arm around his waist, and helped him to stand. "I got him, Grant. Go sit with Suzie, please?"

"Thanks." Thomas wrapped his arm around my shoulders, leaning on me.

Grant's gaze went to my sister before glancing toward everyone exiting the other vehicles. "What do you want us to do?"

"Just sit in the SUV with them for now. Keep your gun close. I'm not sure what's going to happen with the other girls."

Grant gave me a knowing look. "I think they need to leave. I don't want them around Su or Mindy."

Thomas cleared his throat next to my ear. "I think they should leave too. This is my place, and I say who stays and who goes."

I laughed. "I think so too, but it would be wrong just to throw them out if the scratches do nothing. They've been through a lot, you guys."

And they had. I couldn't imagine how I would be feeling if Jenson and his men had been successful in killing everyone except Suzie and me. What if they'd murdered Mindy too? I had no idea who or what these girls had lost, or what those horrible men had done to them. It made me sick just thinking about it.

Grant nodded solemnly and joined Suzie.

Thomas squeezed my shoulder. "Always the bleeding heart."

My cheeks heated as I helped Thomas to his front door. "I'm just saying we don't know yet. I need to look at their wounds. I remember what mine looked like."

"Can I ask you something?" Thomas's voice was only loud enough for me to hear.

"What?" I took the first step, helping Thomas up.

"What kind of vibe did you get from Andrea?" Thomas winced, grabbed the handrail, pulling himself up the steps.

I grinned. "Is this a trick question?"