Episode Twenty Five

Suzie

Suzie

"Psst. Squirt," Thomas whispered from across the room. "Psst. Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey."

I rubbed my eyes, trying to get them to open. Once they obeyed, I was happy to see the sun was finally up.

I stretched before searching for Mindy. That baby girl was the best way to make me smile in the morning.

"There's my little sis," Thomas said in a quiet voice.

I rolled to face Thomas, forcing myself not to say anything about how awful his nose looked.

Thomas waved me over to the side of the bed. Since everything happened last night we hadn't done anything, but go to sleep.

My night had been hell.

I needed to apologize to Grant. Again.

My brain had started playing crazy tricks on me at night. It all started the night Mom nearly took a bite out of my face. It was difficult to figure out what was real and what wasn't.

Last night, I had a hard time falling asleep knowing Jim and those men were still in the house even if they were dead.

Grant had fallen asleep next to me, and I'd fallen asleep shortly after. We'd even cuddled, which was something new and comforting. The only person I ever cuddled with before was my sister and that was a long, long time ago.

I'd jolted awake hours later in my bed with the darkness surrounding me.

I don't know why, but I was absolutely sure someone was holding me down, trying to bite me. I'd been kicking and elbowing my attacker relentlessly until Grant yelled loud enough to snap me back into reality. No one had been attacking me. It had only been Grant in bed next to me.

I'd probably hurt him, but he hadn't said anything about it.

Casey ran into my room to see what was going on and I'd practically tackled her with a hug. After she calmed me down, Casey led me to her room and made a place for me to sleep on the floor. Knowing my sister was nearby watching over me, I'd fallen asleep almost immediately.

"Where's Mindy?" I asked Thomas.

"You know how my munchkin is always hungry and stinky in the morning, so Grant changed her diaper and took her to get something to eat. " Thomas chuckled, and winced, clutching his side.

"Are you okay? Do you want me to get you something?" I walked to the bedside table to get him painkillers.

Thomas pursed his lips, shaking his head. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Someone once taught me that pain won't kill me, and it's better to stay alert."

I thought about arguing with him since I knew he was in a lot of pain, but I decided against it. I would tell Casey, and she would force him to take something.