Moving In

Alia^^

ALIA POV

"I'm coming little bro" I yell so my voice can reach the kitchen.

"You are not going fast enough. Faster Alia. Faster!" My little brother urges me into the house.

"Alex! Why don't you help me instead of trying to coach me? I could just leave you back at mom and dad's house to do the dishes for them." I snicker carrying 2 boxes of stuff at once into the house.

"Okay. I'll help."

My little brother loves to hang out with me. After all, it is because I'm his big sister, Alia. Well, adoptive big sister but it's all the same. Alex is from London. No, he doesn't have a British accent. We adopted him when he was 3 months old and he's currently 10 years old. He's the best thing ever.

 He's the best thing ever

Alex^^

I try to hang out with him more so Alex doesn't have to be at home by himself now that, Fletcher, the second child, is in college.

Most days it is just him and I after I get off from work. Residency is hard work! I know being an Endocrinologist is tough, but days are long and tiring.

Yes, I'm a medical doctor. Yes, I'm black. I know, not many of us are in the medical field, but it's my job to change that.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, but I don't mind sitting at home on the couch. That's why Alex keeps me company.

I'm moving into a new house and I need some help. That's where Alex comes in.

"Come on kid. I think we are done unloading for today. I'm tired. How about a movie and some popcorn?" I ask him.

"Yeah. Can I sleepover?"

"I don't know why you ask because you end up sleeping over anyway. But I do have work tomorrow, so you'll have to get up a little early so I can drop you back off at mom and dads house in time for school."

"That's okay." Alex says as he walks towards the house.

"But before we start the movie we need to put all of the plates and cups in the cabinets."

Alex groans in disgust.

"Shut up." I giggle.

After we finish putting up the dishes we decide to watch Guardians of the Galaxy until 8:30ish.

"Alex. Time for bed dude."

"Why? 10 more minutes?" He begs

"Nope. Get up. Go brush your teeth and then I'll tuck you in. Which do you want? The couch or the chair?" I ask because I don't have any beds in the house yet.

He shuffles his feet to the bathroom and turns around with a grumpy look in his face and says "The couch."

"You got it."

He comes back out and I give him a kiss as he gets snuggles under the blanket.

"Night lil bro. Love ya."

"Night Alia."

After Alex falls asleep which takes all of 3 minutes I get started on my report for class. hypothyroidism is the topic. Interesting if I do say.

Life is hard, you know. Especially being a black woman. Everyone expects you to be loud and angry and have weave. What's wrong with being loud? What's wrong with being angry when the time calls for it? What's wrong with having weave?

I'm not wearing it now, but I've worn it before.

It's also funny because people think I'm some hooker girl. Just because you love over-sexualizing black women in the media doesn't mean you need to do it to me. I wish people would stop looking at black women and every woman of color as some stereotype or fetish. It needs to stop.

And the fact that every pick up line has to do with sex or implies sex. Like you can pay people for sex- why you asking me???

I think this is exactly why I've never been in a serious relationship. Men can be crazy and play with too much. I guess I just don't want to get hurt in the end.

I don't really think I will actually ever fall in love. If love is a thing.
________________________________

So guys! What do you think? I'll try to update soon and update my other story "Searching for You" soon! Thanks!

Much love,
Laur