Chapter #11 - Night

[y/n]'s POV.

You got woken up in the middle of the night. You looked around trying to figure out why were you sleeping on the couch instead of your bed when you remembered yesterday. Your bed is occupied by Scarlet Spider right now. Before going to sleep you tried to contact Ben, but he's not texting back. You sat up and realized that you don't usually wake up in the middle of the night without a reason. You tried to find one when you've realized that small light just appeared in your room. Then you've heard a deep sigh that sure came from Scarlet. But... it didn't sound like he was annoyed. More like sad. It just didn't sound right.

You got up and slowly got closer to your room's door and knocked finally. "You okay in there?" you asked. You've heard that he jumped in shock, but then just sighed. "Yeah, why? And why are you up now?" "I got woken up." you said. "Oh. Sorry, then, I hoped you wouldn't hear. It was just a nightmare." he said. Did he wake up screaming or something? "All right, I'm going back to sleep." you said. You didn't want to disturb him after all.

It took you a lot of time to go back to sleep. Light in your room was already off and Scarlet was sure asleep. You closed your eyes and tried to focus on something nice to get to sleep faster. Just as you were THIS close to drifting away you've heard a scream. "NOOO!" Scarlet shouted. You opened your eyes and got up again. "Nightmare again? It's been 15 minutes since the last one." you said but didn't get an answer. You got closer to the door and opened them a little.

"Scarlet?" you asked as looking inside. He was sitting on your bed and shaking. "You okay?" you asked, but still no answer. You sighed and got in. "Are your nightmares this bad?" you asked and he answered by nodding. "Yeah." he said finally. You sat next to him on the bed and he didn't even look at you. You wanted to pat his shoulder, but decided not to risk it. He probably wouldn't like it.

"Are nightmares common in your life?" you asked. "Now they are, but it's not the way it used to be. At least, not the way it was for a moment. Since my life began I had nightmares, but they eventually went away. Until now." he said. "What are they about?" "All about my past. About all wrongs I did. I see my mistakes over and over." he said. You decided to put your hand on his shoulder despite what you thought earlier. He looked at you when you did. "I feel really sorry for you and I wish I could do anything for you. If there is something, then tell me." you said. He sighed. "There's nothing unless you have a time-travel machine." he said.

"I see things when I'm alone." he said suddenly. "What do you mean?" "Whenever I close my eyes, I see my mistakes, but it's not better when they're open. Every dark corner turns into place I was at while betraying everyone. Silence turns into voices of people asking me why would I betray them. It's getting better and worse. I no longer know what to do." he said. "Maybe go ask someone for help?" "That wouldn't work. Who would I ask, anyway?" "Anyone. Anyone who knows you." "That's the point. If someone knows me, they hate me." "That's not true and you know it." "Can you give me an example?" "Uh, yeah? First things coming to my head. Spider-Man? His team? Ben?" "You don't know what's inside their heads. Maybe they hate me in silence."

"Another example? Me! I know what's inside my head and I don't hate you though I know you." "Maybe you don't know me good enough?" he said. "What more do I need to know? You did a lot in your past but it doesn't matter now." "There's a lot of things I did, I was even born evil!" he said. "What?" "I wasn't really born, I'm not a human, give me a break!" he said and got up. Not human? Wasn't born? What was that supposed to mean? 

He opened the window and before you did anything and tried to jump out, but first to shoot web. He hissed and caught his wrist instead of making it come out. He pulled his suit's sleeve that reviled that there was something metal in it. You looked at it shocked. He wanted to just pull it out but didn't. He knew it was going to hurt, but so did you. "How did this happen?" you asked. "It looks like during fighting the Vulture. That's a piece of his wing. It doesn't hurt unless I try to shoot web. Shield will take care of it." he mumbled. Then he looked at you. "Can you tell me what did you meant?" "Guess I'm stuck here. Fine." he said and sat down.

"First of all, I was never born. I have no family, no past, nothing. My, if I can call it, life began a few years ago in villain's lab. I was created. Not born. Created. Created with one purpose. To kill Spider-Man. To stab him in the back. That's what I did. I'm no human. Things like me are called synthezoids. Or at least I am. There were more, but they're all dead. And I feel re-, no, I AM responsible for this. I was supposed to lead them, but I've failed." he said. That was quite shocking. You slowly got closer to him and sat next to me. "I'm sure you did your best leading them." "Yeah, but it wasn't enugh!" he said. "I'm sorry for asking." you said and looked down.

Then you've heard a quiet sob. "I miss them." he said. "I... I"m really sorry..." "Okay. I'll just go to sleep right there, on the floor. That's how cold and rough bed should be." he said "Oh, and sorry for making you listen to this. Good night." he said. You slowly got up and got out. You've waited for some time and got closer to the door again.

"You better be asleep, otherwise it's gonna be so awkward." you whispered to yourself. You opened the door and saw him already asleep, as he said, on the floor. You got closer and sighed. "I can't believe I'm doing this." you whispered. Then you lightly picked him up and carried him to bed. You hoped he wouldn't wake up at the moment. You put him on it and covered him with a blanket. "I hope you won't get any more nightmares." you said and walked out. Then you got into your living room and fell asleep.

THE END OF CHAPTER 11!

As you might realize, no texts included in this one. It's weird since the story's named "One new message", but where was I supposed to put it?

This chapter got dark I think. Like, I don't even know why. I was just writing it and then was like "....it sounds like compeltly other story. I should delete it and start all over." but then I was like "No way I'll write it in other way, it has to stay." so enjoy Scarlet feeling worse.

See you in the next chapter!