Chapter #16 - Math

You got into school and a few people asked you a TONE of questions about your accident, while a few others simply didn't care. You told ones that asked almost the whole story, except for the Ben/Scarlet thing, they wouldn't believe you anyway. You just said that someone accidentally called you and told you your parents died, thinking you were someone else. That was the only realistic excuse you could've thought about and luckily everyone believed in it so you didn't have to explain yourself.

Finally, the lesson started so you no longer had to tell everyone interested the same story. Not that you were so thrilled for the math lesson. Sure, Ben explained this topic to you yesterday, but you still weren't sure if this was correct. You slowly got into the classroom alongside your classmates, no one was in rush. When everyone sat down and the teacher checked who was in school he finally asked who didn't have homework. You glanced over to Sarah and saw her raise her hand. So she couldn't solve this? If she'd call you'd help her, but now it was too late. To your surprise, she wasn't the only one. Hands were slowly raising all around you and it was hard to find someone who actually did the homework.

Your teacher sighed. "I'll change the question. Who HAS homework?" he asked and all hands dropped down. You shily raised yours and got a little pale when you realized you were the only one. You could already hear others call you "the nerd" just like it happened after the last Chemistry exam. "Oh, only [y/n]? So, what's the answer?" he asked and sounded a little disappointed that you were the only one. "It's 12, right?" you said and your teacher nodded. "Did you cheat?" he asked, you couldn't believe he assumed you were cheating to get it done faster. "No, I didn't." "If that's so, you probably won't mind solving another exercise on the blackboard." he said. "No, I won't mind." you said and got up.

He quickly made up an exercise and you got to work, remembering the way Ben taught you. You had a thought of giving the wrong answer on purpose for a moment so other kids wouldn't call you "the nerd" but decided to do your best, it just seemed like the right thing to do. You hesitated a few times before continuing because Ben's way was easy but long and you didn't want to forget any steps. You finally made it and gave the teacher the answer. You turned around and saw most of the kids just staring at you. "Pretty impressive, who taught you that?" Your teacher asked. "My friend." you said, keeping Ben's name secret. "Well, seems like you have a pretty smart friend. Now go back to your seat." your teacher said and you did what he asked for.

When the break started you got out hoping that kids won't find you and won't laugh at you being "the nerd" at least for now. You'd rather go back to drawing than listen to them acting like a bunch of 5-year-olds. You've found a place in the hallway where you could've just sit down and mind your own buissness, so you pulled out your sketchbook and drifted away drawing god-knows-what. That was, until someone knelt beside you. You looked up and saw a kid from your class. "Hey, [y/n]..." he said. Here it goes. It's a good chemistry mark 2.0, it's the same story all over again, ain't it? "Could you explain this topic to me?" he asked. Wait, what? Was he kidding? "Oh, could you show me too?" another kid leaned over. "S- sure, why not?" you said, not really knowing what was happening.

At the end of the break, you were able to "train" about 20 kids from your class and it was crazy! No one laughed, they all just asked for help. You didn't actually mind this change, but it was still surprising. Same kids that called you "the nerd" after you got a good mark were now asking for help with another subject. When you put it that way you kinda feel like you shouldn't help them, but on the other hand they didn't have a guy like Ben to help them out with this and they deserved a chance to pass to the next class and they wouldn't make it with only Fs. You just gave them a chance and hoped that one day, when you'll need it, they'll return the favor.

After the lessons finished, and they did early because one of the teachers broke her leg, you got back home with another math homework to take care of. After finishing yours you picked up your phone a few times to remind a few kids that somehow got your number and asked for help. Finally, you looked at the clock and realized that lessons for other classes were still not over. You wondered if that would be okay to text Ben now or if you should wait, but your thoughts disappeared as your phone moved one more time but it was a message this time.

Hey, can u text now or r u in school?

You gotta admit, he had good timing.

I'm free now

Good, how was ur day?

It turned out pretty cool

I really need to thank you for explaining this math stuff to me

Why? Was there some exam?

Nope, but I was asked by the teacher to solve another exercise

I was afraid others will  call me 'the nerd' again

Did they?

Nope

They even asked for help

I helped and now they probably owe me

Nice

Btw, do you want to see what I drew in school?

Sure

You started to look for your sketchbook when you came to the sudden realization that you didn't use it since the first break and that you had so much "teaching" to do that you probably left it in the hallway. You looked through the bag a few more times and checked on the desk in your room even though you didn't remember taking it out of it. Finally, you got back to your phone.

God, I left the sketchbook in my school

I think they're still open, I'll go get it

Sure, run, just watch out for cars

Sorry, that was rude

It's fine, I'll be back in a few minutes

You ran out from home and rushed towards the school, luckily avoiding cars and stuff like that. The lesson still hasn't finished yet, but the cleaner let you inside after you told him what were you looking for. You ran around and finally got to the hallway where the notebook was supposed to be and gladly you saw it there, on the floor, right where you left it. You picked it up when suddenly you've heard screams coming from the gym which was pretty close to you. Not some random screams, but kids were clearly shouting "Oh God, he has a gun!".

THE END OF CHAPTER 16!

Look, I KNOW that [y/n] was JUST hit by a car and when she gets back to school there is some guy with a gun and I KNOW it's a lot, but that's just how things look for her now, she got kinda unlucky. But luck will probably go back to her, just give it time... a LOT of time... and it should be okay.

And looking at the brighter side, I guess, I'm sorry about the "watch out for cars" thing, I just couldn't help but put it in here.

See you in the next chapter!