Chapter 14 Something I can't see in your eyes.

The sun was sinking fast now, the sky is turning into a purple-tinged grey colour. I rushed to get a taxi to return to the main street to get home. It can be a little bit waste of time because the traffic at school is always crowded at this time. (I can take a nap, play a game, check Facebook, read social media comments all in a cycle of 3 times but still have not reached home.)

At last, the taxi finally reached the front yard of my house. I dig out some cash to pay to the driver and hurriedly got out of the cab only to see a slim figure, dressed in a white shirt and a red plaid pattern skirt, the sign of an international student. She was sitting at edge of the long cement potted plants along the fences with her knees up and resting her chin on her hands.

*Sighs*...If she had told me earlier, she wouldn't have to wait outside here and be food for the mosquitos.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier that you're coming?"

The sound of my voice brought the girl to raise her head up and faced me. I'm not sure or maybe I'm just overthinking it, but her eyes look gloomier and bleak than usual.

"If Jean told you earlier, will Fuse have let me in?" I don't have a response to that question, I just only walked past her to go unlock the front gate.

"Better go inside the house first, it's getting colder outside." And because I seem to feel that our conversation is not easy to end with a few words...Jean nodded and followed behind me into the pitch-black house. My parents and sister Fing are out of town and said they be back late. I managed to turn on almost all the appliances in the living room, the lights, the television, the air conditioner then went to the refrigerator to take a drink for Jean. She was already sitting on the couch facing the television, waiting in a polite manner. "Here, water."

She still remained calm, did not bother to turn to take up the glass of water in my hand. I can only sigh helplessly and put down the glass of water on the table.

"Then if not are you hungry, want some sweets?"

The girl with pigtail's hairstyle shook gently her head instead of answering, it seems like there is nothing I can do to make the atmosphere better...

I nod in assent and sat next to her on the couch. The melodious strains of the MC on the television did not help to break up the uncomfortable silence anyhow. Time passed by for quite a while, but the long silence made me feel...that the air-con is very cold like in a freezer room. I had to pick up the remote control to turn the temperature up. Also, she has yet to say anything first. I glance back at her, the expression on her face looked dejected from my side. I start to think that maybe keeping up the silence will probably be not good. Therefore, I decided to break the silence and speak up.

"Jean...you come to meet me here like this, is there something wrong?"

This time she immediately replied back to me, "There is!" ...It seems that she has been waiting for me to start talking first.

"Um...ok..." I blurt out halfway hanging my words, not sure what it is she wants to listen to first.

She turned to face me, her big eyes staring straight at me. "What's wrong with Fuse recently? Why Jean phoned call for you but never answer, messages also never reply. Fuse...you were never like this before."

".............." I remained silent. Because if Jean has been enduring it all this time, it might've have been my fault. I also have no idea on how to answer to her questions...these days my feelings for her are dwindling more, but we still managed to make it this far for a year. No matter what to hurry and break up may not be so simple.