Savour [unedited?]

Smut warning, though it's not graphic. That is the point, however. This is all about the emotions. 

[F/n] = First name. [L/n] = last name.

~*~

Teeth chattering, muscles aching, heart throbbing.

People die on every mission and it brings [f/n] and Levi and everyone else great pain knowing that fighting the Titans isn't doing anything to help them.

This expedition, however, was longer than the other ones they had been on.

As they walk back through the Trost District after another heavy blow, they get the usual stares and the sick feeling that already lingers in their stomachs doubles.

[f/n] resists the urge to vomit because she feels like it's too much. She has to try not to break down because that wouldn't look good in public.

Levi feels this as well and understands how she feels. As they walk beside each other, he can hear her erratic breathing and how her eyes clamp shut sometimes. He pulls her hand over to him and gives it a squeeze, but it doesn't help at all. This time, it wasn't just the deaths that bothered her.

"You feeling okay?" he asked. His voice sounded soft but devoid of emotion, more so than usual. He knew she wasn't okay but he felt bad for walking by her in pure silence, knowing she was falling apart on the inside.

Even so, [f/n] nodded because that was all she could respond with. She knew he was only trying to test the waters.

As soon as they arrive back after treading through the district, [f/n] makes her way towards her room and shuts the door. She removes her harness and places it on her bed. She walks into the small bathroom and begins to fill up the tub with water before adding a bit of soap. She removes all of her clothes before stepping in to the inviting, searing heat.

She isn't sure how long she lays there for. She lets herself float on the surface, the water running through her hair and cleaning out the gashes on her legs.

As she closes her eyes, she can picture everything. The blood-stained grass, burning steam from the Titans, the soldiers who laid on the ground haphazardly - the ones that weren't coming home.

Then she pictures Levi talking to his squad and she feels something so overwhelming that she sits up, almost slipping in the process.

He may have been alive and he may have come home again, but they were separated for one whole week on this expedition. It was absolute torture to not see each other, not knowing if they were going to meet again.

She grips onto the side of the bathtub to help herself out and stares at herself in the mirror. Just hours ago, her face was smeared in blood, grime and sweat and she saw Levi for the second time in the space of one whole week, when normally they'd see each other every evening for tea. He made his way over to her once confirming she was alive. He had a tattered towel in one hand and he was doing his best to remove the caked blood and dirt from her face while he gently cupped her face in the other.

"Oh, God, you're safe..." he had whispered to her at the time and she mouthed it as well. "I-I--" He was going to say something, but he didn't know what to say, apparently.

What was there to say after seeing everything they had just seen? What could he possibly say or do to make them feel whole again, to make them feel relieved?

She walks back into her room to get changed into something more comfortable. She lies down on her bed and notices the stack of paperwork she left on her bed. As important as it was to complete and sort out the documents, seeing Levi again was her priority.