14: A Double Betrayal

*24th December 1969*

"YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL!" ROGER told me when he picked me up to go to the Christmas Eve night out we'd all had planned. I had been excited about this since we planned it. We were all going; Freddie, Brian, Jeanette, Tim, Roger and I. December had been the happiest month of my year, maybe even my life and I was glad to be celebrating Christmas Eve with people I cared about.

The morning after that unpleasant evening was just as awful for me as Roger had predicted except way worse. I was throwing up for hours and I had to miss work. I will not be doing that again.

"Thank you; you don't look so bad yourself," I told him as I linked arms with him. He opened the door for me to his car and helped me in.

What a gentleman, he was.

---------------------------------------------

"Freddie! It's so good to see you," I squealed, throwing my arms around his neck. I'd missed Freddie over the last wee while. I loved him more than anyone.

"Julie! It's good to see you too! And good to see you so smiley?" He dropped his voice to a quiet hush that only I could hear, gesturing to Roger. The blush that quickly spread over my cheeks told him all that he needed to know.

"I can't believe how long it's taken you to tell me about this; it's not hard to pick up the phone, dear,"

"It is for me, Fred," I giggled, burying my head into his shoulder. He chuckled and rubbed my back.

"Don't let little Roger get jealous, darling," he told me, making me turn my head to Roger who was glancing over more than once. I laughed and made my way over to him, standing on my tip-toes and kissing his cheek.

"You alright?" I asked him, resting my elbow on his shoulder which was closest to me.

"Yeah, do you want something to drink? I'm about to go and get a beer or something,"

"A rum and coke would be so good right now,"

He looked at me, horrified and opened his mouth to lecture me again.

"Calm down, I'm only joking, Rog," I giggled, hitting his arm.

"Yeah, 'cause I'm not prepared to deal with drunk you or hungover you ever again," I smiled sweetly at him, making him chuckle. When he was gone, Brian and Jeanette showed up, arm in arm.

"Hey, you two," I greeted with a smile.

"Who's excited for Christmas?!" Jeanette exclaimed, sounding like a little girl.

I had to admit, Christmas had never been the holiday for me. I hated the fact that the whole holiday was dedicated to big conglomerates making lots of money while shoving in your face how happy you should be. But now, I actually was excited about it. I had Roger, I had someone to spend Christmas with.

"I'm quite looking forward to it," I replied with enthusiasm but not quite as much as Jeanette who looked like she was scaring Brian.

"What about you, Bri?" She asked him.

"Yeah, I think it'll be quite good actually," He replied in his normal soft and quiet voice. "I'm looking forward to spending it with all of you," This made both me and Jeanette coo at his sweetness.

------------------------------------------------

A few hours and a few pints later, Roger was hammered. Guess I was driving us home then. It's now my turn to deal with the annoyingly drunk significant other.

"Jules, you know that you're the best thing that's ever happened to me," He slurred, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"That's nice, Rog," I replied, holding the hand that was hanging over my shoulder. Even with Roger, I still didn't know how to deal with drunk people.