40: Nightmares

*1st July 1972*

"ARE YOU ALRIGHT TO walk by yourself while I just lock the door?" Roger asked as he brought me back home to the house.

"Yes, Roger, I'm fine," I insisted, making my way down the hall to the living room so I could sit down.

As I went, I glanced at the area of the floor where it had all happened and my breath caught in my throat. I stood for a minute and recalled all the bad memories of that night.

"Are you okay, love?" Roger's voice snapped me out of my trance and I looked over at him with a small smile.

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine," I replied, shaking myself out of it. I continued down the hall, trying not to look at the spot on the floor where Lucas stabbed me.

I collapsed onto the couch and immediately regretted it. The rough action hurt my chest and I inhaled sharply as a wave of pain hit me.

"Careful, darling," Roger said, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"I know, I know," I said, lightly rubbing my chest to ease the pain.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Roger asked, sitting down next to me.

"Yeah, I mean, I'm a bit sore but I should be okay,"

"No I mean mentally. Are you going to be okay?"

"You know me, Rog. I'm always okay,"

Although I wasn't so sure.

———————————————-

I was in a dark room, it was so very cold. I didn't know where I was or what was going on but I didn't like it.

"Roger?" I called out for the one person who could make me feel safe and secure, even if I didn't know where I was. But there was no answer.

"Roger?" I shouted again, but again, no answer.

"Hello, Julie," I turned around and saw Lucas standing there, a knife in his hand. The knife was covered in blood; who's blood was it?

I look around and saw Roger lying on the floor, covered in blood. I started screaming and crying at the sight of my dead boyfriend.

That's when Lucas grabbed my arm and stabbed my stomach.

My baby!

"Jules! Jules, love! Wake up!"

I awoke with a start to find Roger leaning over me in the bed. He was shaking my shoulders gently and his voice was urgent.

As soon as I woke up and saw that he was okay I sat up and wrapped my arms around his neck, crying into his shoulder. I held onto him like he was my life support.

"Shhh, it's okay, darling. It's over now, it's okay, I'm here," he held me, rubbed my back and said comforting things.

"Roger," I managed to choke out in amongst my sobs.

"You're safe, I've got you and nothing is going to happen to you," he promised, tightening his grip on me.

"I'm so glad you're okay," I told him, pulling my head up to look at him. He still had his arms wrapped tightly around me.

"What happened, love?" He asked gently, pushing a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"Lucas he-he'd killed you and then he stabbed me in the stomach. He killed you and our baby," I began to sob again and he pulled me into him once more.

"Well, he's not going to hurt you, our baby or me ever again. He's in jail now, he can't hurt us anymore,"

"It just seemed so real," I whispered, turning my head to rest my cheek on his chest.

"I know, I know, love. It was only a dream, though. Now, what's going to happen is: we are gunna lay back down, I'm going to hold you very tightly and we're going to get more sleep because you need it. I'll keep all the nightmares away from you, love. Just remember that I've always got you, nothing can hurt you while I'm here," he told me, rocking us back and forth in the bed.

"Okay?" He asked, tilting his head down.

"Okay," I agreed.

He patted my back and kissed my forehead sweetly.

"You are going to be okay, love. We're going to get through this together," Roger promised, wrapping his arms around me from behind when we lay back down.

"Okay," I replied, closing my eyes and enjoying the security I felt from Roger's embrace.

And he managed, somehow, to keep all of my nightmares away that night.

My slumber was full of love.

——————————————

A/N

It's so short! And it's 2 am as well. Why the hell am I still awake?

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and my wee tag thing. If you skipped it I fully understand but I didn't want to only post that and not have a chapter attached.

I wasn't planning on updating at all today because it's been a busy one but, aw well. Here you go!

Keep reading!

Xx