Art class // Dialogue Prompt

"I want you to draw a monster," my art teacher said. I picked up my favourite charcoals and my A3 paper before settling down. "You may proceed."

    "Now class, before you go," my teacher spoke above the chaos as we frantically packed up before lunch, "I want you each to explain to me why this makes a monster. Maybe it's the sharp teeth, maybe it's the hunger in it's soul, maybe it's the behaviour." I looked at my swirling monster, the charcoal smudged on the edges, my hands blackened with the remainder of the tool I had used.

    "Ivy," my teacher spoke so softly it almost scared me. 

    "Yes, miss?" I replied, showing her my work. Her eyes flittered over it, inspecting every smudge, every shadow.

    "What makes this a monster?" she asked me, her voice barely audible over the chatter in the classroom. I looked at it more carefully.

    "I'm not sure," I responded, "I think I made it a monster because people think it's not dangerous. It's something, no someone, people see everyday and believe the monster is there to help them. My monster is a monster because it lies and cheats to get to the top and ruins people along the way." My teacher's eyes were curious as she looked at it again.

    "Do you have a backstory for it?" I nodded. 

    "My monster was often left out. My monster got played and got thrown away so many times. What was once innocent is no longer so. My monster wanted to be something else, someone else." My teacher nodded, taking my piece and stepping back with it.

    "Ivy," she said loudly that everyone turned to look, "did you notice that you drew yourself?" I looked at the piece calmly.

    "Yes."

---

As always, genders may be reversed.

Cinder ♡