Chapter One || Ice

"I must have ice in my veins to do what I just did. I expect the ice to melt... But it doesn't. It just gets colder and colder... And I welcome it".

- Erin Hunter

Five months had gone by since Ed had been frozen by the river

Five months had gone by since Ed had been frozen by the river. He was now the central piece in Oswald's new club, 'The Iceberg Lounge', which would be open soon. Charlotte Bateman was now working as Oswald's person hitwoman and went on a lot of jobs alongside Victor Zsasz. One night the two had stopped a gang from robbing a wedding, only to take all the loot with them. The gang didn't have a license of misconduct which Penguin had been giving to criminals in exchange for money. Every crime could be performed with Oswald's license except for murder. Violent crime had already started to come down and Oswald couldn't be happier.

On the morning after, Charlotte accompanied Oswald to City Hall, along two of his henchmen, for a reunion with Mayor Burke and police Commissioner Reynolds. Oswald would make the last arrangements for his licenses.

Oswald showed Burke one of the licenses and the Mayor observed it thoughtfully before sending a smile at Oswald. "You know, we appreciate all you've done".

"Do you?" Oswald chuckled. "Three months ago, following the Tetch incident, this city was in flames. I came to you and offered to cut crime in half, and I delivered. Violent crime is down fifty-seven percent".

"But now you want to, uh, literally, unionize crime," the Mayor stated. "I mean, but we can't possibly-"

Oswald interrupted Burke by suddenly standing up from his seat and placing his hands on the Mayor's desk with a sudden shout. "Quiet!"

Burke jumped back on his own chair and Charlotte chuckled from her seat on the couch at the back of the room

Burke jumped back on his own chair and Charlotte chuckled from her seat on the couch at the back of the room. She placed her feet on top of the coffee table and continued observing the Mayor and Oswald in amusement.

The Penguin relaxed and took a deep breath before speaking again. "I remember when I sat there, in the Mayor's chair. I do not envy you". Then he turned to the Police Commissioner. "Nor you. Commissioner of police in a city notorious for crime. That's why I want to help".