Chapter 1:

Emersyn

The sound of the alarm was loud enough to wake the whole building, but that was the only way it would actually wake me up. I slammed my fist down on the small piece of black plastic a little too hard and it shattered into pieces. I groaned in annoyance. This was the 10th clock this year. I was just about to give up on the old-fashioned idea of an alarm clock and seriously considering using my smartphone like everyone else in this century.

I opened one eye and was greeted by the spectacular view of Lake Michigan through the floor to ceiling windows of my penthouse located in the center of down town Milwaukee. It was beautiful and cold just like the moon. In a way it was comforting to be greeted by the sight of the storm gray icy water but the fluffy white snow on its banks made me shudder.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stretched. I got up and snatched my phone from the bedside table and headed into the kitchen. My house keeper Ana had started the espresso maker when she heard the alarm and was already making me breakfast when I got in there.

"Good morning, Ana. How are you today," I asked.

"Good morning, Mistress Inouye. I am well this beautiful December morning. How did you sleep," she asked.

"Hard, too hard. I need you to pick up another alarm clock today," I said pouring the fire hot espresso into a mug and adding some cinnamon.

"I will add it to the list," she said as I sat down at the breakfast bar.

I began going through my text messages, voice mails and emails as I waited for the food to be ready. After about five minutes, I was looking into hiring a new assistant to help me run all of my businesses. I couldn't take meetings for both news companies; Emersyn News and Inouye Media, the security company EI Security and the production company Faegems, all on the same day. Hell, I could barely take all the calls I was getting lately.

I put a reminder in my phone to put out feelers for at least 3 assistants when I had some free time. When Ana put my plate down in front of me, I devoured the food as though I hadn't eaten in days instead of hours. After I finished, I put the plate in the sink and went to get ready for the day.

I showered and brushed my teeth in less than twenty minutes. I chose a white skirt suit with black pinstripes and a black bustier underneath. I swept my hair up in a tight bun at the back of my head, threw on a diamond choker and 3ct stud earrings and then slipped my feet into my favorite black suede booties. I left my face free of makeup other than eyeliner, mascara and a little bit of shimmery nude lip gloss.

I left the penthouse in the private elevator that took me down to my own private garage level. It took me almost 5 minutes to choose between the silver Range Rover and the red Benz truck. I ended up in the range rover. I took off out of the underground garage and hopped on the freeway. I had a staff meeting at Emersyn News at 9:30 to hand out assignments for the week. Emersyn News was the top news channel and newspaper in Milwaukee thanks to decades upon decades of hard work. This company was my baby. It was the oldest of the four.

I pulled into the CEO spot at 9:20. When I walked into the lobby I was immediately greeted by Elfrida Ghentrie, my dearest friend and the top investigative reporter at Emersyn News. She was practically bouncing with energy. Elfrida was beautiful, I daresay even more beautiful than myself.

She had pale jade green almond shaped eyes set into a heart shaped face with full lips, a strong Celtic nose, long eye lashes and slender eyebrows that were the same silvery gold as her waist length hair. She was dressed simply in a forest green pants suit that accentuated her athletic form.

"Frida, what has you so hyped up on this cold Monday morning," I asked.

"I've got the story of the century for you, boss. Well at least the beginning," she said holding the manila folder out to me that I hadn't even noticed she was carrying.